Where is value?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Margo Tuul, May 6, 2010.

1. Margo Tuul New Member

Just reading some motivation posts here, some say money and sales motivate them. Here is what i think:

I think, (works best for me), is that you should focus on helping people, and building good relationships, rather than focusing on sales. Is 1000 sales better than 1000 happy customers? I think 1000 happy customers, who can recommend you to 1000 others. So you can make another 1000 happy, who recommend you to their friends. Money follows you, not opposite way.

I have seen many, many people focusing on their first sales. Then 100 sales etc. But in a long term...if you don't provide value...you are not going to see sales anymore. People out there remember, who cares about others, who cares about sales.

This is what keeps me going...seeing happy people around me.
  2. alexishost New Member

Providing value? It seem interesting. Can you tell me more about that?
  3. ericsquest New Member

Very true! When I started out I'll admit I was really just trying to make a sale and it was rough.

I realized that I had a consistent group of people that I followed online. What did they all have in common? I felt they were all helping me without trying to scam me. They were offering advice on my business without getting anything in return. I then realized that these were the people I was most likely to buy from if they had a product release because of the past help they provided.

I started taking on this philosophy and it worked. I try to answer every comment left on my blog and I have regular chats over email and Skype with those that need a second set of eyes, or just some basic advice on how to get up and running. I have products I promote, but I don't push them on anybody I am helping. My goal is for them to say, hey, Eric really helped me and I'm thankful that he did. I know that if I can do that, I'm happy.

And guess what? When I started focusing on helping and providing value first, everything really started to click. I make more money online now focusing on how I can help my readers/customers than I ever did focusing on how I can help myself.

Eric
  4. CarrieLyn Guest

Hi Margo,

Oh this is so true, thanks for posting. I was guilty too of just looking for sales when I started out but then I guess probably everybody does don't they? I mean when you're first starting out in business it's about finally achieving the freedom to work from home so you're focused on replacing the income you get from your job right?

I'm so glad to hear that you've realized that $$ isn't what it's all about but rather it's about offering value.

Alexis, I hope that the post from Eric helped in clearing up what offering value is to you. It's about learning everything you can about your industry and then turning around and sharing & helping others with the information you know. Forums are a great place to do this as there are often lots of people just starting out who really need help and just as often there are experts who are there to help and offer advice.

You've really got to focus on giving without want. That means giving without expecting anything in return, giving because you want to, and giving just for the sheer joy of giving and helping.
  5. ryanbiddulph New Member

Well stated Margo. You aren't dealing with money, you're dealing with people. Money is the product of an effective relationship built and service rendered. Never focus on a thing before a person.
  6. jeffreysloe New Member

ericsquest: When I started focusing on helping and providing value first, everything really started to click. I make more money online now focusing on how I can help my readers/customers than I ever did focusing on how I can help myself.
    Eric,

Excellent! If everyone did the same as you, could you imagine how the world that we live in would look? We all need to help others and stop focusing on ourselves. It's like that quote from Zig Ziglar, "You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."

Business is all about people, and the relationships you have with those people. If you help them they will like you. If they like you, they will buy from you, or join you in your business. However, many people go though life just thinking about their self and wonder why they aren't making it.

Eric, with your attitude and philosophy, you will be very successful. Keep it up!

Jeff
  7. AbrahamSmith New Member

Well almost every company today starts off by saying "we want the best customer service". And we all know what happens next - the ones who keep that promise wins.

Therefore a great motivation could be:

1) Make some key values when starting your business.

2) Stick to them no matter what. The only change which is allowed - is to improved the already made "play rules". [IMG]
  8. fixaprob New Member

he factors we use in determining value before purchasing tend to consist of pricing, competition, and company reputation or perceived corporate well-being. We hate to buy something now, if we are convinced that the manufacturer won't be around to support the product down the road. We also are usually going to compare one product to another in relationship to price and features (or better yet, benefits) and how they fit in to our methods of doing business and style of working. A $100,000.00 video editing system may make sense for a television program producer's budgets, technical requirements and timelines, but if you are a wedding and event video producer, a sub-$10,000.00 system will most likely be very fast, affordable and functional.