Where to start for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by bburt252, May 10, 2008.

1. mirab

mirab New Member

2. KB24

KB24 Member

you can use feedburner to get RSS feeds
  3. Jon Squirrel

Jon Squirrel New Member

It's very easy to get overwhelmed by information as a newbie (or even as an experienced affiliate!).

In fact, this is one of the biggest criticisms received by some of the products out there - too much info all at once with no obvious plan.

Madnawat has laid down some very good principles. And plenty more valuable tips have been added before this post.

I'd recommend that you get a notebook and write it all down - try to organise the suggestions into categories such as:

1. Creative writing - e.g. articles (these will require more thought)
    2. Discussion - e.g. forums, blogs and blog comments (just chat)
    3. Building a solid customer base - e.g. growing a mailing list
    etc.

I found things worked so much better when there was a structure to my approach. Instead of trying to do a bit of everything all at once, I concentrated on good content for a website and then moved on to one form of advertising the site.

Once things started working, I then branched out to another form until that began to get results, and then another and so on.

Eventually, you'll maybe spend the equivalent of one day a week on each category you devise (whatever brings you the best results).

But for now, just pick one promotional strategy and make sure your product (or the product you're promoting) is going to benefit your target audience.

And when you're just beginning, you shouldn't have to spend money on advertising to start making money.

Good luck, stick with it, and enjoy yourself!

JSq
  4. Jon Squirrel

Jon Squirrel New Member

waldy1619 - you message is still pending approval but for your signature -> wrap your links with the url stuff...

yoursignaturedisplaytexthere

You can also find this in your profile signature area - Vishal has created a little pop up you can access from there, which tells you how to do it.

Good luck!

JSq.
  5. johnjimat

johnjimat New Member

lol off topic ahaha [​IMG]
  6. kwill33710

kwill33710 New Member

Gosh so much great information! I have added all of your recommended sites to my favorites for further study! Thanks!!
  7. tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn New Member

I'm having a lot of trouble with my websites getting traffic too. I feel like I am getting a lot but no click throughs.
  8. tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn New Member

Another thing I have been noticing is that I have to spend many hours a day just to get traffic to my sites.
    If I take a couple of days off my traffic drops dramatically.
    There has to be an easier way.
  9. teteimathews

teteimathews Guest

I notice that your blog has adsense ads, so please do not use any PTR or PTC sites to promote it, if not Google will terminate you. Google doesn't allow any traffic exchange. Well, you can join groups like google groups and yahoo groups, I advice that yahoo groups is much easier and simplier to use and more popular. Be very active every day. Secondly, signup for as many as forum sites and free classfied sites. Remember all these sites are automaticly spidered by all the major search engines. Lastly, Contextual link exchange is very helpful. [​IMG]
  10. jaesun16

jaesun16 New Member

HI,[​IMG]

If you can invest money, I would recommend using

google adwords.~

Do not waste your time on spending money to others than google~

Happy day~^^[​IMG]
  11. evetze

evetze New Member

trytolearn,

i think persistence is important. if you keep working at it, as time goes by, the traffic would come.
  12. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have been at this for 5 months now. I choose a very broad niche then learned to break it down. I now have 5 sites on smaller niches in the broad topic, mostly on squidoo. I was overwhelmed in the beginning and all over the map.

I have done most of the 30 day challenge, and bum marketing which helped a lot, then I used pot pie girls program and the sales just started happening.

I found all this information so helpful, I created a blog on basic information for newbies to internet marketing because I know how hard it is and if I can help cut the learning curve by even a few weeks, then I think I have helped. I still have so much to learn.
  13. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

Belief and action are two words that come to mind when I think of starting as a newbie. Belief because you must believe in your product and that your business will succeed. That feeling and confidence shines through as you talk to other prospects.

The second word of action can better be stated as planned action. You must find your market and learn how to advertise to them. I do my best to model the large successful corporation and adapt their methods to my own business. I figure if it aint broke then dont fix it. If they can be billion dollar corporation using these methods I can definitely make millions following them.
  14. CameoSue

CameoSue New Member

Madnawat, just want to thank you for the answer I was looking for. Am a bit overwhelmed right now, but enjoyed see your help to previous question documented so well. Let's check my links, too. Signature shows automatically?