Which Antivirus are you using?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by weblearner, May 21, 2010.

1. weblearner New Member

hi all

I have used Norton antivirus but it will slow your machine. Which antivirus do you have and is it better?
  2. CarrieLyn Guest

Hi there,

I agree, Norton is the worst. A trojan virus made its way through Norton too and wiped out my PC. I'd recommend AVG. Here's their site: www.AVG.com

I haven't had any problems with them, the customer reviews are good, and it doesn't slow the system down. [IMG]

Make it a great day!
    Carrie
  3. FreeCashMan Active Member

I concur avg is amongst the best. I had a free service from my internet cable company, and it was not as good as avg.

MalwareBytes, is a good free malware scanner protector also.
  4. Margo Tuul New Member

Using PC Doctor. Its cheap and you can use same key on 3 pc's. I think it was $30 for a year or so. AVG slowed my laptop down, a lot. Same was my fathers laptop. Using PC Doctor now last 2 years.
  5. wealthbuilders New Member

AVG, Avira and Avast are all good and they are free!
  6. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I use McAfee.
    Buy the desktop version as you will have a copy if reinstall is necessary.
    McAfee charges for a cd on top of the online service, so the desktop version is preferred.

Norton is not good.
    My ex had received a barely used system as a gift, with Norton on it and I took it into Radio Shack (I insisted it be checked before connecting to my internet) and they uncovered 2 trojans and 2 viruses, in which Norton had missed.

Just my thoughts...
    Victoria

What is funny is the local Radio Shack uses one of the free services to pick up viruses that the paid services miss.
  7. Sonni New Member

I use Avast and agree that AVG is also a good choice and as mentioned they are free. Norton isn't worth anything and is a hog. A friend of mine put it on my computer for free so I tried it thank goodness I am rid of it now.
  8. Casper New Member

I'm using Avira & it's fantastic.
  9. getagrip Gold Member

Check out Kaspersky - it takes about an hour and a half to two hours to scan your computer, but it is very thorough, and catches viruses other programs miss. In fact, a few years ago, I scanned my PC with it, and it caught 60 viruses that another popular anti virus program missed...
  10. samda Member

I use Kaspersky original and it is awesome.
  11. CarlG New Member

AVG somehow never seems to disappoint[IMG]

Good reviews as well and best of all, it is FREE[IMG]

Carl
  12. weebitty Member

Ok I have a laptop which avg do you use there are 3 different ones?? Some of you say it slows your laptop down?? What is a better one for laptops?? i have norton from our cable company they just changed from Mcfee. Kaspersky is 80.00 every year.
  13. cdl123 New Member

I use Spy Sweeper. It don't slow my computer down.
  14. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

I also second Kaspersky. Although it seems to slow down my Laptop a bit, it is very very efficient in catching viruses. Touch wood, I haven't had any case of viruses bringing down my pc since 5 years of using it.
  15. Michael Merry New Member

CarrieLyn

I agree 100%. For a free AV/malware solution, nothing I have seen compares with AVG Free. There was 1 incident about a year ago: I had inadvertently disabled the AVG resident shield. My PC was quickly infected and taken over by a common infection called 'Privacy Center'. It was so bad that absolutely Nothing could be done with the PC after booting to the start screen. The Only option was paying $89 to renew some bogus 'software license'. DO NOT FALL FOR THAT TRAP! Eventually I got rid of the infection by running 'superAntiSpyware' in safe mode, which found and removed no less than 89 trojans and other infections. This restored basic functionality to the PC. I then deleted every registry entry associated with Privacy Center.
    I remain grateful to superAntiSpyware, but I cannot say it compares with AVG. Anyone who has this Privacy Center problem should contact Microsoft support at (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676). Or you may contact me at [email protected]. I will do what I can to help.
  16. Jim Gillum New Member

I have used Norton for about ten years and have never had a problem...
    I also have 4 gigs of ram and my machine is fast....
  17. Flipper New Member

I have been using Mcafee for the last 10 years and touch wood aswell i have not had any viruses. I would also like to mention the age of the computer this can have a big impact on the speeds of uploading & downloading.

Also your internet supplier can be an issue sometimes depending on your locations.

But i agree that Norton is not good if you are thinking of running a business from home.
  18. DSingh New Member

I have always used Norton or AVG Free, never had any problems with them two.

You can always pick up a discounted Norton product on ebay for half of what they cost in the shops.
  19. bianca_dee New Member

I use Avira Free. It's lightweight and does what I need it to do. [IMG]
  20. adamtaylor New Member

I usually run Kaspersky on my personal computers and any computer I maintain for friends and family. Kaspersky has been fantastic. I would recommend Kaspersky to anyone who wants good reliable protection. McAfee is something I use at work, because I have no choice, and would not recommend to anyone.