Why Banner Exchanges Don't Work!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by The Copy Connoisseur, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Why Banner Exchanges Don't Work

For many new internet marketers, banner exchanges seems like a good idea.

Don't hold your breath, though!

And don't expect to get results worth banking on.

Here's why!

Banner exchanges usually get viewed by other internet marketers trying to get exposure to their site, if they get viewed at all. With all the fancy software of viewing multiple pages at once you don't even have to see other people's pages to get banner credits.

And guess what?

You're not the only one who's smart!

Many other marketers know these tricks and use them too.

So why from a marketing point of view doesn't any of this stuff work?

Because the audience you're talking to has absolutely NO interest in your message.

You see, marketing by its very definition - market, is about presenting what you have to offer to people who are in the "market" for what you have to sell! People who want to buy

It's like going fishing with the wrong bait!

The fish just won't bite.

Banner exchanges are not comprised of groups of people who want to "buy." They are comprised of hungry individuals who want to make money on the @#$% internet and who are just as frustrated as you are.

So they do all kinds of things that don't involve any risk taking. They apply to Free programs and are unwittingly grouped with other like minded individuals who also have no intention whatsoever to shell out any cash. And well...

you know the results.

So when they finally get the nerve to take some risk they jump on every new offer they see, only to learn that they've been had again and again. Eventually they develop what I refer to as - Internet Marketing Immunity.

Fool me once - shame on you! Fool me twice - shame on me!

People aren't stupid. And when their trust is intentionally breached they become highly resentful and are resistant to offers. Even offers that may seem "too good to be true."

They aren't stupid. But they are inexperienced.

For the inexperienced; a word to the wise...

Don't expect anything from banner ad exchanges.

However...

Banner ads that are strategically placed on sites that relate to your specific markets' interests, well now that's another story!

That's the equivalent of selling in your local classified newspaper section. Your message has meaning to enough people viewing your ad.

Consequently, you'll get a much better response!

================================================

Learn how to market more effectively! Let me show you what to do, and what not to do. Read my threads on this site and please let me know if you found my information helpful and informative.

Your feedback is very important.

Ron Redner is
    The Copy Connoisseur
  2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Quoting: The Copy ConnoisseurYou see, marketing by its very definition - market, is about presenting what you have to offer to people who are in the "market" for what you have to sell! People who want to buy

I agree Ron, and several other words come to mind when I think marketing. For example: strategy, niche, target, persuade and influence, to mention a few.

And for any of that to mean anything or deliver results, the marketing message must be seen by those interested in your offer.

Nice post.

Hermas
  3. Hermas,

Thank you.

You expounded nicely on my point.

Ron
  4. Global

Global New Member

Good day,

Banners have worked for me I just found out through trial and error where to place them.
  5. Chaz T

Chaz T New Member

The Copy Connoisseur ,

Interesting take. Kind of sounds like using free online classifieds. It's just a bunch of resellers adversting to eachother.
  6. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Banners can work for you, although I don't know if they are as effective as text links. Banner exchanges, however, are a different story.
  7. PT Dude

PT Dude New Member

I have done pretty well with my 10k hits business just using traffic exchanges. It is kinda like spraying and praying vs. honing in on a target and firing the gun but it has been effective thus far.
  8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I have learnt that people who go online actually avoid clicking on banners. This is true. They would rather click on a ad that is in text.

That is why you see so many people who have Google adsense on their sites prefer to use text ads rather then banners because they know that if they want more people to click on the ads that are on their site, it would be better to have text.

That is the way it works.

Tal