Why build a niche website?

Discussion in 'Site Build It' started by happywife, Sep 7, 2012.

1. happywife

happywife Gold Member

There are a lot of different ways that people can choose to build an online business. It's hard to know what path to take, particularly when you are just starting out and everything is new and extremely confusing (I've been there!).

After investigating a couple of different avenues, I ended up deciding to build a niche website and I'd like to explain why in hopes of helping others who come along looking for something that might suit them.

First of all, I didn't have the foggiest idea of HOW to build a website, so I avoided that avenue for a while because I just didn't think it was something I COULD achieve personally. You may feel the same way, but if the barrier of HOW was removed, perhaps you would reconsider.

A niche website is a theme based website that is focused on one particular topic or subject. A good example would be a website about cake decorating. Cake decorating is a specific topic that people go online to search for information about every day.

They may want to learn "how to" for a lot of areas of cake decorating - how to decorate with fondant, how to make icing roses, how to make a wedding cake, etc.

They may be searching for other information about cake decorating like what's the best icing to use for making decorations on cake, where do you find animal shaped cake pans, what kind of food coloring works the best and tastes the best, etc.

If you happen to be a person who loves to decorate cakes or is very keen to learn, this might be just the kind of niche website that would be perfect for you to build.

The advantages of building a niche website are multiple...

1. You can maintain focus and productivity by concentrating on one subject that you DO know about rather than running around trying to learn multiple new skills and ideas all at one time.
    2. You are developing your own online real estate, owned and controlled by you, rather than building up the business of others.
    3. You can eventually be regarded as an authority on your subject or in your field as your website grows and you cover your topic from every angle.
    4. If you build your niche website properly, you will generate free targeted traffic from the search engines as they direct people to the information your site provides.
    5. You can monetize your own website in a variety of ways so that you will have "multiple streams of income."

You may choose to sell your own products (digital or hardgoods), earn commissions by promoting other people's products, sell advertising (privately or through ad programs like Adsense), offer a service, etc.
    6. If you choose a niche topic that you really know about and enjoy, you'll LOVE building your online business and it will make it a lot easier to persevere through the early days of laying the foundation because you love your topic.
    I'm sure there are more advantages to building a niche website that others can/will add, but those are the main ones that come to my mind immediately.

I believe a niche website is a fantastic way to build an online business, using the knowledge and skill that you already possess and sharing that with others, meeting their needs and earning an income while you're at it.

Once you've decided that a niche website is the avenue you'd like to take in your path to earning an income online, the next step is the HOW. It's easier than you may think. Stay tuned... ;)

Blessings,
    Angie

Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Angie,

As I read your post I couldn't help but think how fitting it would be for you to develop a comprehensive home study course that teaches people exactly how to use what they already know to build, promote and generate income with a niche website.

Your writing style is engaging and easy to follow and it's obvious that you know your stuff. Drawing on your own experience and success with this model, you could easily distill the information into an eight-week course (for example) that identifies and drills down into the hows and whys of the critical components.

That's the kind of detailed, packaged guidance people will gladly pay hundreds (even thousands) of dollars to gain access to. And as you say: It's easier than you may think. :)

Food for thought.

Excellent post by the way!

Hermas

3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Thanks Hermas! I appreciate your kind words and it really IS a good suggestion about the "course" which I just may do in future for perhaps one of my sites as an "add-on" offering. I guess it's always seemed silly for me to do so because it's "already been done" exceptionally well by SBI, which is how I learned in the first place. ;)

For the moment, I'm hoping to just write some short articles for this new SBI section to help out the Work At Home Forum visitors for free because Vishal was so kind as to add the SBI section to the forum last week. I feel an obligation now to get some meat on the bones of it with some practical tips that I've learned through my years of web building with SBI.

Hopefully someone will be helped in the right direction, whether they choose to use SBI to build their niche website like I did, or some other platform. The principles are sound and offer long term potential, so this will be "evergreen" content for the future.

Blessings,
    Angie.

4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

So much for good intentions! Just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten and will definitely be adding more content to this section (hopefully as soon as later this week). Life just tends to throw curve balls from time to time, changing the best laid plans into dust (or at least postponing them).

My hubby had a heart attack not long after my last post and so I've been "preoccupied" with all that involved. Praise the Lord he is fine so far with some procedures done and more to come in the next few weeks. Just wanted to let you all know so that you didn't think I'd abandoned the forum or my good intentions. I'll slip in and out of the forum as time permits in the coming weeks and hope that I may still be able to be a help to some along the way.

Blessings,
    Angie

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  5. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Angie, so sorry to hear of your current situation and the challenges presented by your husband's medical condition. My prayers are with you, and I know your faith will give you the strength to carry on. Be consoled in the knowledge that: we are never faced with more than we can truly handle.

Hermas

Just2EZ likes this.
  6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

oh wow Angie! I am so glad he is doing better and hope and pray he continues to improve. I sold all my SBI sites except for the Home Remedies one so now I hope to be able to spend more time on that this winter. My life is just so crazy busy for no apparent reason, it seems! But then I would be bored without busyness! :)

I agree with Hermas about a 'work at home' study course... you would be the one to do that!

7. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Thanks so much Hermas, Viola, and payment proof. I appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and good wishes so much.

You are so right, Hermas. The Lord gives me great comfort and strength and I have confidence in the fact that He would never give me more than I can bear.

Wow, Viola! Down to one site! That almost sounds like bliss in some ways. Although, truth be told, I love all my sites and it would be so hard to part with any of them. ;) I have a sneaky suspicion I'd be a lot more productive if I, too, pared them back to just 2-3. Maybe I will eventually.

My husband is doing pretty well, but he has to have another stent procedure in a few weeks. Lord willing, all will go well and he will be able to adjust back to a healthy and active lifestyle.

Thanks again, friends!
    Blessings, Angie

9. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Take your time Angie! My advice to all forum members has always been that don't post for the sake of posting. One really good post is better that 10 good posts and 100s mediocre posts.

I'm glad that your husband is doing fine. May be the almighty is nudging him to slow down.

10. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Thanks Vishal! I have to agree with you there. I'll try to stick with the quality over quantity. ;) It may take me a little longer than initially anticipated, but I'll get there eventually.

Thanks, too, for your kind words about my husband. You may be right, but I think He's also trying to nudge him to change his dietary habits! :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Angie

11. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

You are right! Hadn't thought about that :rolleyes: Your state of mind and your diet always go hand in hand. You are what you eat.

Take care.