Why More and More People are Unhappy Today

Discussion in 'Casual Chat' started by Vishal P. Rao, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Just came across this brilliant video highlighting the cause for unhappiness and discontentment in the present world...

happywife, A8ch and Just2EZ like this.
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Thanks, I needed that. Just got back from a hike enjoying the beauty of creation.
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Very interesting video. It reinforces the teaching that "man shall not live by bread alone."

While worldly goods have their place in mankind's existence, they cater to only one aspect of our totality as human beings... the body. The mind and spirit also need to be given attention so that we can sustain balance. Or, if you prefer, so that we can grow and develop to our highest potential.

Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs places material possessions at the base of the pyramid where we cater to our physiological needs. The persistent daily assault of advertising on our psyche is only one of several conditions that can conspire to delay our progress to the next level.

As long as we keep falling into the trap that lures us into embracing material accumulation as the visible marker for wealth and we ignore the pursuit of mental and spiritual growth, we will always have imbalance (stress, disease, depression) in our life, and will never be truly wealthy.

Hermas
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Excellent video clip. Thanks for sharing it. It's always good to be reminded of the "important" things in life. Having a balance is particularly important to me.

Blessings,
    Angie
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Great post and video Vishal!

It seems at many times your possessions can actually own you.
  6. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Exactly! Technology is meant to free us, but its happening the other way around. Almost majority of the people you see around are hooked on to their gadgets/smart phones, totally unaware of the nature around. It's like their gadget is controlling them :)
  7. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Agreed Vishal. And the money people owe on their possessions keeps them working to pay back the store, the credit cards, the bank loans, etc.
  8. DCollier

DCollier Member

Modern day Slavery. takes all prisoners. I recently stopped Cable TV . Just got to be too much with the commercials. I had done this a few years back and noticed a big difference in my moods and outlook without the constant need to attempt to control the mute button. So after a month again Im better, doing more stuff outside and not too moody (depressed) . So for all those stuck on smart phones ,, I love my dumb phone at $18.76 per month and being able to see whats right in front of me- Life and it beauty in real time , full color.