Why Not Earn From Your Hobbies

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by HobbiesMann, Jan 31, 2009.

1. HobbiesMann New Member

I have been making money online since the middle of 2001 but not a lot and I also found it hard to come up with the great content that would help me earn more.

In the past couple of years, mostly through 2008, I started to blog about the hobbies I enjoy. I started with one but I didn't monetize it, just shared my experiences and after a few weeks I was getting traffic from the major search engines. After three months I had enough SE traffic that I decided to monetize my blog and started earning over night.

There was plenty of competition in the niche I was blogging about but I just localized my blog to where I live and my traffic increase and became more focused.

I wasn't sure that this wasn't just a freakin' coincidence so I started a second blog on the same topic with a slightly different focus and it did the same thing.

I also found writing about what I love isn't nearly as tough as writing for a few of the other sites I have that aren't hobbies.

Next I took one of my other hobbies and started another blog. I followed the same strategy of not monetizing until had a couple of hundred visitors a day and it took off as well.

Yes, I started a second blog on the same subject but this time I bought a keyworded domain name. That domain took has as much time to grow to the size of the first blog in that niche.

For the first blog in that niche I used an existing domain I had that was purchased as a make money online site but it never earned so I put it on the shelf.

So I have found and tested for more than a year now and the domains that are keyword in the domain do move through the search engines faster and I can make money online talking about my hobbies.

It's a lot more fun that when I was trying to make a living with topics that I had to struggle with.
  2. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi HobbiesMann,

Blogging about something you enjoy makes all the difference in the world. Visitors want expertise, passion, and authenticity.

They'll know whether or not someone knows and/or loves a topic or not.

Furthermore, you can write more often and for a longer period of time if you know your topic. Why do it any other way?

~Newbie Shield~
  3. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I am gonna show your post to my hubby, Hobbiesman... I have been trying to get him to blog for awhile and maybe this will get him going.[IMG]

He has some really cool hobbies...
  4. getagrip Gold Member

I think you are right in that it helps to blog about a subject you are familiar with. It also helps if you are REALLY into that subject, as you can give better advice and come accross as more genuine since you are passionate about that subject.
  5. HobbiesMann New Member

If it weren't for my hobbies I would be one bored guy. The fact that I have been able to make money talking about my hobbies is a real dream come true.

I am one of those that can talk, unless you put me on the spot, but other than that I can usually talk all day.

Have fun with your hobbies
  6. RAh New Member

That is the best way to do it...start with what you enjoy and know about.

My ex-girl friend worked for IMC and that is what they stress...start with your passion or hobbies that you can easily talk about.

Keep up the great work!
  7. Phil Stones New Member

Yes all above really true.[IMG]
  8. strapforcash New Member

Yes
    I think your right it is always best to talk about what you know.
  9. rubsync New Member

I really enjoy blogging and trough it I am earning extra money... I just have to write.. I love writing.. and it is my passion
  10. Genth173 New Member

I love to write, so I'm working on learning about blogging so I can write about things I like to do as well. But I'm just starting out so it may take a bit. Reading these forums is great help too.
  11. affdollars New Member

Hmm.... good idea!

Your hobbies can be [IMG]
  12. Newbie Shield Gold Member

mountainmom5: I am gonna show your post to my hubby, Hobbiesman... I have been trying to get him to blog for awhile and maybe this will get him going.

He has some really cool hobbies...
    Hi M5,

Did you ever show this thread to your hubby?

~Newbie Shield~
  13. computerincome New Member

I once had a classic car parts hobbie / business on ebay. I used to rent a space in a shipping container and ship british sports car parts over (im in oz). It was a great biz i passed it onto a relative and still love the old classics. Currently got a Triumph Tr7 im fixing up, not much of a classic but its a cool little car. Make sense and make money out of what interests you. Good luck.
  14. Singapoor New Member

Newbie Shield: Hi M5,

Did you ever show this thread to your hubby?
    Was wondering the same thing [IMG]. Is he now up and blogging?