Why put other people's content in your website if you're going to promote an Affiliate Pr

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by showmestate, Jan 22, 2009.

1. showmestate

showmestate New Member

I am a newbie with Profit Lance. I've been going through the course as recommended, reading the material, viewing the videos, going through the projects as well as the blueprint. I have been doing this 10-12 hours every day since I signed up Saturday. It's not that I'm trying to do things too fast or make a quick buck, it's that I'm so excited, I just find it hard to stop. My husband says I'm obsessed with this. But, I'm trying to learn. You know, it's like reading an outstandingly good book, you just find it hard to put down. I was up until 2:30am this morning. By the way, I'm a type of person, when I do involve myself in something I give it my all (I don't pick things randomly without thoroughly checking it out as best I can).

My question, is that I'm not understanding the concept of continually putting content in a website. I do understand it's for the search engines. But if I am trying to promote an Affiliate Product only, the first blueprint exercise mentions getting content from articles (like in ezinearticles, etc.). I can use other people's information and leave it intact or I can put my own. I'm trying to figure out why I would want to put others articles in my website if they have links to their website to promote a similar product. Again, I do understand that this may be for backlinking for the spiders, but won't I be taking away from my own potential sale?
    Maybe I have information overkill,,,I've been only averaging 4-5 hours (at most of sleep since starting). Again, it's just excitement over all this and seems like the more I'm learning,,,the more I want to learn more.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

showmestate
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome showmestate! And happy to see you excited - I am a night owl myself when it comes to online stuff....

And you have a great point there.. I personally do not publish other articles on my sites that link to their own sites. It is really easy to rewrite a good article in your own words and post it to your site but yes, if you are promoting an affiliate product of your own you want to control where your visitors go to.

However - there are other ways to make money with blogs and sites and that is with adsense. If you are strictly monetising with adsense, then it doesn't matter where your visitors are going to and the more great content you have the better.

I am actually thinking of giving that a go myself here before too long - when I have a few midnight hours that are not consumed elsewhere - and set up a blog strictly for adsense then just post other articles and see what happens... [​IMG]

Hopefully this all makes a wee bit of sense to you and helps clarify things a bit - make sure you get enough sleep though or you can get burned out.[​IMG]
  3. showmestate

showmestate New Member

Yes, thank you very, very much. I just got it from the way you explained it... Thanks very much
  4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Showme,

I think it's great that you are passionate and excited with learning about online marketing. I feel the same way about it and put in extra long hours seven days a week. I've been doing it that way for a long time and wouldn't have it any other way.

It can be upsetting when other people don't understand but don't let that prevent you from pursuing your passion. You might avoid getting too caught up in explaining too much about it or it may prove to be even more upsetting.

Keep to a small, simple, and infrequent explanation. You might avoid putting too much verbal attention on one particular program. Instead just describe how you enjoy reading about online marketing as a hobby for now and see the potential for the business side of things in the not-to-distant future. That may pacify any naysayers :)

Take everything you read with a grain of salt. If it doesn't sound wise or believable, then toss it.

You aren't obligated to use articles created by others on your own site. In fact, I recommend against that. Don't even alter articles written by others. Read them and get inspired if you like, but write entirely from scratch.

But if you do copy/paste someone else's article, you are ethically bound to link back to the author - perhaps another good reason not to use the works of others on your site.

Besides, Google likes unique content.

Hey, come here for support and socializing when ever you like. This is a very friendly place and we all share the same general passion. We like to learn together and help each other out.

Welcome aboard :)

~Newbie Shield~
  5. showmestate

showmestate New Member

Thanks Newbie, I like to write and talk (gift of gab as my hubby calls it), so I do tend to get a bit wordy when it's something I have a passion.

I will try to tone it down.

Thank you very much.

showmestate
  6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Showme,

Just to be clear - you can be as wordy as you want on the forum. The advice is for when you are having trouble explaining it to your family. I'm hoping that will make your life a little easier :)

~Newbie Shield~
  7. showmestate

showmestate New Member

Oh, I'm sorry Newbie Shield, I took the way you first meant it, toward my family. Because, you're right, I am constantly defending what I'm doing. Heck, just did it an hour ago when my hubby called.

Again, thank you

showmestate
  8. showmestate

showmestate New Member

Oh by the way, I got hit by the Blogger police yesterday. I was playing around with my very first blog that didn't have any content what so ever in it. It was when he had us go through setting up the account. Well, I named it something that I'm going through right now (because he said to call it anything) this was just to get it setup. Well, during one of the later projects, when I was putting together my second blog, I was playing around with url hiding and putting words in it to go to a specific place but not actually show the url. I never did publish the blog and left it in draft status. I got an email last night saying that it had been flagged for being spam.

It actually referred back to my profit lance url. But the blog name had nothing to do with that. I hadn't published it, it was in draft mode. I was like, what happened here. 'I a note like this:

Your blog at xxxx has been identified as a potential spam blog. To correct this, please request a review by filling out the form at xxx .

I was trying to find a place to contact them with an email address or something, no such luck, kept getting thrown back into their help sites or forum. So, I just deleted the blog, it was just a "per se" training blog anyway.

So, what I'm trying to figure out now is, did I get that message because I had no content in the blog, hadn't really used it in a couple days or because the blog had a link to my PL website that was totally different then what the blog's title.

As you can see, I am totally new to this blogging thing.

showmestate
  9. makemoneyonline

makemoneyonline New Member

Hi Showmeestate, Im happy to hear you are excited about learning all this online stuff [​IMG] !!
    You are absolutely right, like the others have mentioned. Putting other articles on your pages does take away from your potential sales, thats why you should NEVER do it [​IMG] !! The best way to go about it is to read other ezinearticles for ideas, then put everything in your own words. Newbie Shield is right, Google LOVVVVVESSSS unique content, and if that is what your website has, then you will be rewarded for it. It may take more effort to write, but its well worth it in the long run [​IMG]
  10. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

showmestate: I'm trying to figure out why I would want to put others articles in my website if they have links to their website to promote a similar product.

I think you are always better off creating your own content. When you use other people's content, you are not allowed to alter it in any way, and as you said, it detracts from your own affiliate links. Also, duplicate content can hurt your search engine rankings, so unique content is the way to go.
  11. showmestate

showmestate New Member

Thanks everyone for the great information. Regarding the blogger question. I will create a new post for it since it really doesn't belong in this one.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks

showmestate
  12. oregoncountry

oregoncountry Member

I think there are a lot of good comments here but what in this world could anyone write that is unique? Just like putting in a search in Google, look how many people are talking about the same things? How many different ways can you describe a Rose for example. That's what I mean. It's discouraging to me because the only "unique" content I seem to be able to come up with is my own, weird personality. Even then you run into someone that writes the same sort of way.

How many affiliate marketers have been successful "just" using unique, original content? If Im writing about Roses I will use my own style but there is a lot I don't know about Roses. So do I leave out what I don't know? Then that makes for a whole "1 page" website. Then to earn money in this world I need to look in books, and mostly online to save gas and money.

If your site is all unique and original, wow, more power to you. But I doubt if any one of us knows enough about any one thing to write all unique content. You can even take a look at some of the great artists? Were they all unique? How about writers.

Ok so with that all said, my main thought now is that I can go learn something from another writer. I can use that content on my website, but write it with my "style" of writing, put in a couple of goofy jokes and I might make a buck. Or, I can write about what I know about Roses. But guess what? I learned that from someone else.