WordPress theme being used for new domain design...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by haiden, Mar 26, 2012.

1. haiden

haiden New Member

Hoping that people will know exactly hwat I mean. I have asked around, and nobody seems to understand exactly what I am asking...

I am trying like h*ll to set up a website using "Karma WordPress theme", which I just bought the other day. Rather than just use it for a , for example, sitename.com/WordPress, I wish to use it for sitename.com.

I did not notice until just last evening, but there was also a site template I could have purchased, rather than the WordPress theme. I am worried that now I am stuck with it.
    Basically, here is what I paid for: http://themeforest.net/item/karma-clean-and-modern-wordpress-theme/168737 And this is what I think I may have needed to get: http://themeforest.net/item/karma-clean-and-modern-website-template/234990?WT.ac=item_more_thu mb&WT.seg_1=item_more_thumb&WT.z_author=TrueThemes
    Can someone please let me know if I can use this to build an actual site, that I can upload to a new domain, after I purchase said domain, without having it be just a WordPress section of the site? Did I purchase the wrong item, should it have been the actual web template?
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Where you install it is not a problem with either version.
    One is a stand alone program and the other requires WP be installed.
    You can install WP in the root or a sub directory, your choice always.
  3. haiden

haiden New Member

OK, one of the ones listed above requires WP installed, that would be the one I have , correct? "Karma Clean & Modern WordPress Theme"?

Thanks, Just.
  4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

haiden: OK, one of the ones listed above requires WP installed, that would be the one I have, correct?
    That is correct!

haiden: I did not notice until just last evening, but there was also a site template I could have purchased, rather than the WordPress theme. I am worried that now I am stuck with it.
    You don't have to be stuck with it. As Just2EZ pointed out, if you want your URL to read sitename.com, you would simply install WP in the root folder of sitename.com.

The features between the template and the theme are pretty much the same. Of course, with WP you get more flexibility and ease of use, in my opinion. Whichever way you go, there's one thing for sure, you picked a very nice, classy theme.

Good luck with it!

Hermas
  5. haiden

haiden New Member

Hmm. I'm not sure I see an option to install it in the root. I like this theme, and also I like the fact that WordPress SEO's nicely. In your opinion, do you think I should exchange it for the website template?

As mentioned, I am having a difficult time explaining it to the people at
    TrueThemes. They keep referring me to their training videos, and closing the ticket I open so it's a pain, I have to keep opening a new ticket, and getting the exact same response. Man, i have never had so much trouble!

Also, I found someone on Fiverr.com to help me out. He's got a good reputation and the right qualifications to do this work. Not to mention its very cheap, he offers 4 pages @ $5 each. Which is all I want. A "Home Page" , "Services" , "Portfolio", "Contact Us". Should be all simple, I've just never used a theme to create a site.

Oh, and I assumed that since the product is labeled as "WordPress theme", it is for just W.P. , and the other theme, well, it says its a website template. So now all I need to do is find a good tutorial on the companies site, to install this. :/

Lol, sorry for the long wall of text, as usual.

I do know that in the Hostgator Cpanel theres a section on installing a WP, but thats not what I want, right? Ugh, this is going to take me ages.
  6. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

haiden: I do know that in the Hostgator Cpanel theres a section on installing a WP,
    That is what you want to do, then upload the new theme to the WP Themes directory.
    The Cpanel install to the root directory should be "/" or blank(no directory name).

I would stick with the WP Theme you bought instead of the template version.
    At least with the WP you can change your mind and not lose your pages.
    Changing themes is a fairly easy job if you decide to later, the template not so easy.
    Using WordPress gives you a lot more options than just the template will.
  7. haiden

haiden New Member

Just2EZ

Man, WHY did I not come ask you guys first?? Lol. Thank you.

I will go ahead and upload the zip file, but first I have to set up the hosting for the domain I just paid for , with Hostgator. OK, so I set up the domain hosting, then I do "quick install" for WP, then I upload the theme.... If I get lost, would it be too much to ask to come back and ask for more advice? =D I know you're all reall cool with this, I mean it is a forum for exactly this. I just don't want to be too much of a pain the arse. :)

I will, if need be, even snap screenshots to go with posts, to better explain. Man, I REALLY do apopreciate this. It may even save me a little money on having someone do it.
  8. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

You can send $25 per question to my PayPal account.[​IMG]
    Just kidding, I charge $250/hr if you want 24/7 support.
    Call me anytime, lol.
    But seriously, if you can wait for an answer ask away.
    Just don't expect instant answers all the time.
    I do have to sleep and play sometime.
  9. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

10. haiden

haiden New Member

Lol, Just. You're an expensive date! Er, I mean... yeah. =D Yes, I know... ugh, people feel the need to sleep. Sleep when you're dead! Haha. Nah, I'm more than happy with the time it takes for people to respond. Heck, I've gotten more help here , in this short time, than I have with the company I bought the theme from!

A8ch: Thanks! I will check it out for sure. I actually just finished upgrading my HostGator account, so now I can have "unlimited domains". Wonder how long this will take, I'm anxious to get started! [​IMG] Also, H.G. is awesome. Just sayin'...
  11. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

haiden: You're an expensive date!
    haiden: Sleep when you're dead!
    After burning the candle at both ends for 25+ years...
    I discovered if I charge 10x as much I can play and sleep 10x as much.
    Work 1 hour a day and play for 10 instead of the other way around.
    It's all in how you look at it. Create what you want to see.
    Laziness is the father of invention.
  12. haiden

haiden New Member

I actually agree. 0.0

But I believe being lazy is actually sometimes productive. Working too hard on something, sometimes, can , as we all know, overload you. Taking time to be lazy has helped inspire me many of times, lol.

... Or so that is what I tell myself, haha.

Just waiting for the domain to be set up with H.G.

Now I'm going to kick back and be lazy, er, I mean read a book. Then get back to punching keys, figure out exactly how to get this theme working. Oh, and A8ch, I did watch the video. What it showed me I already knew, lol. I may be making more of this than it is? I dont know. I just cannot figure out ... grr, I'll just go relax with a book, then with a clear mind, try to sort it out.

I will come back , hopefully, saying thanks for all the help, again, and to let you all know the site is complete, and live!

Wish me luck!

-Haiden
  13. haiden

haiden New Member

... lolol I MUST BE A TOTAL RETARD!

I think I may just pay this one guy to take care of it for me. I am in the Admin panel , just installed it on a sub of one of my other sites:

http://thisisournet.com/MWR

And I am totally lost. I , for some reason, cannot get it through to my brain that this is not meant to be just another WordPress site, but the start of a business website. I honestly cannot seem to find any directions/tutorials that specify how to how every aspect of this thing. Such as widgets, menus, etc. To me it just looks like WP, which is what it is. God help me, lol. Maybe I should just wait until the domain is moved and set up with HostGator, and let someone take over for me, before I throw my head through a wall, lol.

See, my thing is more geared towards the SEO aspect of the webs. When it comes to that, I learned the "basics" very quickly, and even developed some of my own "tricks". White hat, of course! A lot of the Black hat methods are, well, they have become out-dated since the attack of the Panda.

And A8ch, I hope I did not offend you with my last comment. I do VERY much appreciate you taking your time to locate the video for me. But that just gave me the basics of installing the WP. [​IMG]

included a single pic of what I see*
    http://i41.tinypic.com/volslh.png

I see a folder called "Demo Content", which contains an XML called
    "karma-wordpress". See, I am not sure if I am supposed to upload that or what. I'm assuming they give you that so you can upload just to see what you could get. Anyone know what I mean?
  14. haiden

haiden New Member

man, these people I bought the wp theme are utterly useless. I finally managed to explain it properly, without writing out a novel, asking how I did all this, and they insist on continusously pointing me to a tutorial video that explains how to install it using WordPress.

Am I typing in Greek or what? I swear that I am losing my mind here.

[​IMG]
  15. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

The page displayed in your image is of the WP Dashboard.
    It shows the Widgets section of the Appearances menu.

Click on "Themes" to see the list of available themes.
    You should see "Karma" listed in the "Available Themes" section.

Click the "Activate" link under the Karma theme to make it the current theme.
    And go from there.

Hermas
  16. umstrategies

umstrategies New Member

How did you install the theme? Did you FTP the zip file to Hostgator, or did you use the upload option in the WordPress Admin menu?