Work from Home Ideas

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Blake Davis, Aug 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM.

1. Blake Davis

Blake Davis New Member

First off let me say my name is Blake and I am a recent graduate out of Madison Southern High School in Kentucky. I hope I putting this post in the right place. I am looking for some way to start off by working from home. I am not looking to get rich quick just something I can do at home for the time being that I can earn some spending money with. I have tried paid survey sites and don't have a lot of luck with those. I am really good with computers and typing. Is there any online work from home jobs that deal with typing or whatnot that anyone knows of that is legitimate and doesn't say you only pay 50 dollars or what have you for a 200 dollar start kit value and you will be generating 3500+ a month. I have not fallen for those however I have run into work from home oppertunities like that. I appreciate any help someone may be able to give me and look forward to hearing the ideas of the other members of this forum. I want to say that it does not have to be necessarily typing work but, that is one of my good computer skills I have. Let me know what you all know about. Thank you all for any suggestions you may have.
  2. yahia

yahia Member

Here is how to make money working from home using the Internet:
    Check if they're still hiring: http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/threads/lifebushido-hiring-outbound-callers.10516/
    Check fiverr.com odesk.com freelancer.com elance.com for tasks you can do.

Or you can start your own business to run on the side for you while you focus on your education. Content affiliate marketing is good. You can devote a couple of hours a week to create content. It makes you a better writer. Build your own site and publish your articles there and on article directories with links to your site, and start by building your list of prospects before you tell them about a product that helps them and pays you per sale. Build a relationship with them and they'll make you money when you need.

You can scale that up by selling your own product, then find another market and do the same, and so on.

Your product could be a membership site where you provide exclusive valuable content.

Or build websites and get them to make money then sell them.

Or build websites and get them to rank for some keywords and rent ad space.

The possibilities are endless.

About the typing thing, the only way to go is local.

Good luck.
    payment proof likes this.
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hey Blake... I hear ya. So many things to look at and so many varieties of work at home stuff.

Here are a few simple tips I would have for you after having done a variety of things online.

1) First understand that there are a few MAIN ways that work at home opportunities work ...​

• Internet or affiliate marketing - this is where you create blogs or sites where you can promote products and make a commission when someone buys something. You don't handle the stuff, just promote it. You can pay for a training guide or just wing it. I 'winged it' for several years and didn't make hardly a dime, then I bought some training materials and started making money within a few months.

• Direct sales or network marketing - This is often where you will need to purchase a start up kit in order to market the products. It's one of most popular ways to make a substantial income quite quickly as in most cases you have a team you get to work with, hands on training and products that sell. I have seen folks make anywhere from a few hundred a month to several thousand a month with this business model.

• Telemarketing or customer service from home - this is something I have not done myself but from what I have gathered from some friends that do it, is that you can work from home with a computer and phone line doing customer service for big companies. You will usually have certain hours that you need to be available to work and the pay varies from a few bucks an hour to more as you get more experienced....
    2) Secondly, it is important to realize that RARELY do you hit the jackpot overnight or get rich quick. :)

It takes work and lots of efforts to become successful at what you do in ANY business, and it is especially true in the work at home arena. Heck, if it WAS as easy as all those online guides would like you to believe it is, then everybody and his uncle would be doing it already! :D

Good luck!
    payment proof and Inquirer17 like this.
  4. Inquirer17

Inquirer17 New Member

I totally agree with mountainmom5!
    There are legitimate opportunities out there but it's hard to find the right one.
    If you want to make a living working from home try out some of the ideas like affiliate marketing or network marketing.
    I'm big on education so I recommend that you look into the best ways to approach your new online business. In my opinion, one of the best gurus of online marketing is Seth Godin. Find some of his books and study them. I think he has the best approach.
    Just as a disclaimer, I have nothing to do with Seth Godin and I get nothing for promoting his name or his book. I simply think he has an excellent approach to online marketing.
    payment proof likes this.
  5. yahia

yahia Member

Seth Godin just killed his business two weeks ago, so no he's not the best. Not even close by a long shot.

He might have had it at one point, and I was a big fan of using his squidoo to make money for beginners who have no money to start. But currently see what happened to squidoo (slow death) over the past couple of years to end up selling his site content (generated by users, not him or his staff) to hubpages.

I respect your good will, but maybe you didn't hear the news.
    Inquirer17 likes this.
  6. Inquirer17

Inquirer17 New Member

Thank you Yahia for your kind words. I have not heard the news. Since you're saying it here publicly I will not doubt that it is true. The question this new-found knowledge leaves me with is this: Does this mean that Seth's teachings, philosophies, and methods are now outdated (don't work)? It looks like I need to study this matter a little more.
    I really appreciate your comments!
    yahia likes this.
  7. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Blake,

Looks like you got a lot of great advice already.

What are your interests? This may help you find a niche that you can monetize and also enjoy.
  8. yahia

yahia Member

Not necessarily, but he was acting like another google; canned or no replies to CS tickets, locking really good lenses (not spammy thin affiliate ones) without sharing a good reason for it with the owner of the lens content, and finally deciding what to do with the user generated contents (that he doesn't own). Just learn from his mistakes.
    Inquirer17 likes this.
  9. recruiter1

recruiter1 New Member

What are your interests? Better to find work which you enjoy and have skills in that will double your chances to made a living working from home.