Working from abroad - legal and tax considerations?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by dreamer08, Oct 15, 2007.

  1. dreamer08

    dreamer08 New Member


    I plan to run my budding online business from another country, while working there on a work visa. I need to know whether I can do this by registering the business in a U.S. state before I leave, and paying all taxes in the U.S. I will also have a U.S. address to use for the business.

    Thank you
  2. pcwork

    pcwork New Member

    If the business is registered in the US, you will have to pay taxes there.
  3. dreamer08

    dreamer08 New Member

    Thank you, pcwork, for replying. Do you mean I can operate the business legally while residing in another country on a work visa, as long as I have my business registered in a U.S. state? Also, when you say I have to pay taxes "there," do you mean in the U.S.?

    If so, I understand that. I just want to make sure I can do so without getting in trouble in the other country.

  4. Ozma

    Ozma New Member

    i'm curious about this too. I want to run an online affiliate marketing business, and I think I have to have the checks sent to a US address.... but if I decided to live outside of the US for part of the year, what would that mean, tax-wise?
  5. Katalina

    Katalina New Member

    I am new here but I think I can help.
    I have been a professional tax preparer for 20 years.
    The IRS has very complicated rules for "foreign income". Which is what I think you are dealing with. Sometimes it is 100% taxable, sometimes it is tax free, and sometimes it is somewhere inbetween.

    The rules are complicated so I would suggest consulting with a professional who has experience working with foreign income, or at the very least visiting the IRS website and getting their free publication.

Share This Page