Working from home - Balancing Action

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by samda, Jul 19, 2008.

1. samda

samda Member

Woking from home requires a lot of dedication and hard work. Just to sit before your computer for all the day and working can have both good and bad faces.

On the good side we can be our own boss. We can set our timings. We can work without any stress from boss or company. We have the guts to say that we work for ourself.

On the other hand we can miss a lot of fun in life. We can miss getting in touch with people. Going around the city. Taking care of our mind, body and lot of other stuffs.

As a work at home person how do you manage it.....???? How do you make your life more colourfull..... Just keep this caption "All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy" before replying.....[​IMG]

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

One must be aware that Internet and Computers are pretty addictive and hence it is very important to discipline yourself right from the beginning. You may think that it's OK to sit in front of your computer the whole day initially. However, without even you noticing it, you'll soon find that initial phase becoming into a routine [​IMG]

Here are some ways to keep your work from home life exciting:

1) Get a hobby which requires you to go out of your home.
    2) Network with similar people in your area and make it a point to organize frequent outings. This way, it'll become difficult for you to make any excuses.
    3) Don't sit in front of your computer for more than half an hour at a stretch. Take frequent breaks and engage yourself in some different activity. This will help you cut off easily from your Internet life, when you become aware of any discomfort or side-effects arising out of sitting in front of your PC. Normally we develop aches or irritation but we tend to ignore them when we are addicted to the Net.

3. samda

samda Member

Oh should not sit more than half an hour at a strtch before system. I some time site full day in a stretch. I think i have to learn this art....

Thanks... [​IMG]

4. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

I have to make more of an effort to get away from the computer as well. I was injured 4 months ago which limited my physical activity and have been working at home. I got over the addiction part of the internet a year ago, but some of it is coming back due to the injury.

I'm now getting back on track with turning the computer off several times a day and going for walks, swims, etc. We always have had good friends, but see them primarily on the weekends, so I have to make sure I get away more during the weekdays as well.

The one thing that I worry about, but know I should not, is since I try to assist others that are in my business I feel guilty when I come back to the computer and see someone that needs my help and asked several hours earlier when I was not available. I get requests for assistance all the time, through both email and pm's.

5. pcwork

pcwork New Member

There is no electricity for up to 6 hours a day in the area I stay in, so there is plenty of time to do other stuff

6. Smart25

Smart25 New Member

Great post! pcwork you are lucky. This can truely become an addiction. I work in front of a computer at my day job. and Also at school I usually sit in front of a PC. Huh, Im taking notes of these suggestions!!!!!

7. euphorex

euphorex New Member

[​IMG]I stay at home too and here's how I strike a balance, I wake up 5:00 a.m. go for my early jog. Come back have a cuppa, do my housework then 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. I use the computer. 11:00 - 12:00 I do bits of gardening then lunch, have a nap and/or go out to town to do my bits and pieces come back around 4 p.m. prepare dinner, watch evening news then go for a jog around 6 p.m. come back and use the computer for two hours, read and go to bed.

8. Lauren

Lauren New Member

For me it's all about being able to set boundaries, and then sticking to them.

I do tend to over work (mostly because I love what I do), but being out of balance leads to stress over time. (You can probably over-do for a while, but eventually it catches up to you!)

Much like euphorex, I do my exercise first, that way I can feel good about the rest of the day.

I set time limits that I will work on each project (or company). Since I have several business ventures that I must work on each day, I set time limits that I will work on each thing, and then when the time is over, I stop. Period.

This has worked well. I also do consulting, so with clients, I give them a time range that I am available each day, (about a 4 hour window) and then that's it. Everything gets rolled to the next day.

It's worked for me so far, although I confess it is something I need to work at each week. It's easy to go back on your promise to yourself, when no one is holding you accountable but yourself! [​IMG]

On the days I feel I have "too much", I just remind myself how fortunate I am to be at home, and make my own schedule, and then I wake up the next day and try to make it a better day than the last!

Lauren

9. Dimasalang

Dimasalang New Member

Because of my Job and also being a student, I tend to work 8 full hours with no breaks. I also study on the internet and it consumes me 3-4 hours. Which then leads me to a total of 8 to 10 hours a day. I only sleep 4 hours a day. And for just 3 days of doing the same routine, I felt fatigued.

10. writerros

writerros New Member

Good question! I've been self employed for 6 years and I do find that I miss interacting with people, though I would not want to go back to having a job!

I take the dog for a walk every day (weather permitting[​IMG]) and I spend one day every 2 weeks visiting my best friend, which always makes me feel completely refreshed afterwards.

I do think I could do with getting out more but it's quite difficult finding the right balance.

Ros