Working from home - what options do we have?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by PeekingDuck, Apr 8, 2015.

1. PeekingDuck

PeekingDuck New Member

Ironically, I am a freelance writer who works from home - I am writing an article for a popular business website and was looking for inspiration from other people who WFH.

Obviously, freelancing is a great opportunity for those with certain skill sets and I will be covering that in great detail but I'd also like to share other options / angles / ideas and inspire people to basically stop choosing the 9-5 mindset.

Any feedback, ideas, opinions, thoughts, suggestions would be massively appreciated and I'll be sure to credit those involved.

Thanks in advance!

2. SkipTheDrive

SkipTheDrive New Member

The thing about working from home now is that it's mutually beneficial to employer and employee. I think that it was seen as more of an employee perk years back, but employers benefit from all of the overhead savings too! There are a lot of stats out there showing how beneficial telecommuting is for stress, productivity, the environment, etc. Personally, my favorite aspect is the flexibility. For example, today I didn't start work until around 11:00 EST, as I dropped off my wife and son, worked out, showered, and am now at my favorite coffee shop :)

drknlvly6781 and SandraGJ like this.
  3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Finding the right niche can also allow you to work from home. Internet Marketing has allowed a lot of people to do this. Just to mention, Customer Service is another big work at home area.

Personally, I love working from home and the additional time it allows with family. :)

4. SandraGJ

SandraGJ Member

I completely agree with SkipTheDrive on this one. There are many studies that show that home based workers have a more productive and efficient work schedule and procrastinate less than 9-5 workers. Another great thing is being able to organize your work day schedule the way you want it. That means you get to work during the most productive periods of your day, so that's another great plus on my list.

SkipTheDrive and payment proof like this.
  5. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

You can take your talents online and make a living doing what you love. I recently interviewed a woman in West Virginia who makes custom hula hoops and ships them all over the world. Promoting her craft on her own site and via Social Media has given her a booming business. She had earned in 17,000 These first three months of 2015 and has more business than she can handle. What a great problem to have! :)

I have also interviewed Piano man Steve and he teaches Piano lessons online and has a membership site.

Taking your talents and gifts online is a great way to earn a full time living from home and have the freedom lifestyle!

YAGOOFT, SandraGJ and payment proof like this.
  6. payment proof

Wow. Custom hula hoops is certainly a unique way to make a living and a great niche. I know there are a number of people out there who like all the different designs of Yo-Yos for instance. Just goes to show there's always a new way out there to make money. The trick is finding it. :)

SandraGJ and robinincarolina like this.
  7. KB24

KB24 Active Member

Since you are a freelance writer I would think the easiest way to get started is through affiliate marketing/Internet Marketing. Its not easy and it not some "get rich quick" type of thing. It takes work. It works but most people quit before they see success.

8. jmcpro

jmcpro New Member

I agree that affiliate marketing is the way to go. Your skills being a freelance writer will translate very well here. Once you find your niche, create articles for blogs that are relevant to your product or service, and include your affiliate links. I would do that on every social media site you can get a hold of. Don't forget search engine optimization!

9. RebeccaClarke

RebeccaClarke New Member

There are many legitimate ways to make money online. The problem is that the real ways to make money are not get rich ideas. Most of them requires lot of efforts and potential. The best online business idea that work these days are buying established website. Buying an established website is like buying a bricks and mortar business giving an opportunity to have successful online venture. Benefits of buying an established website is:

1. Fully website setup

2. Cost effective than starting from scratch

3. Established customer base

4. Valuable Traffic

All you have to look is different methods for web site monetization and making sure revenue continually grow.

10. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Love these kind of success stories, who would have thought custom hula hoops would have a market? You just never know, so I think I will start making custom pet rocks? Any buyers out there? lol

Success to all,

Just2EZ likes this.
  11. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

There are many gift shops in Sedona selling "pet rocks".
    P.T. Barnum comes to mind.

Lisa R. Morin likes this.
  12. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Funny, no doubt, some people will buy anything. lol

13. payment proof

14. Shermaine

Shermaine New Member

Recently, I get to know about E-commerce Business and realized the power on how social media helps in this business. I begin to venture out for opportunities to be able to work from home so that I can take care of my family and at the same time earn quite a decent sum of passive income every month. This is done just by writing posts to enables people to be aware of the good skin care products and nutrition supplement that are beneficial, recommending people to purchase the products and at the same time able to work as a distributor for products that are recognize worldwide. In this E-commerce biz is different from the usual MLM, there is a strong focus on teamwork and team recognition in the form of team bonus payout. There are free training conducted every week on how to run this ecommerce biz by the team members or the tea lead. Hence, you will not be alone struggling out there. Initially, I was also very skeptical about the entire ecommerce biz and aren't dare to make the first step. But I know if I wanted my dream come true, that is to be able to work from home easily, I've to make the first step. Right now, I don't even have to worry and is able to have decent payout weekly without having to do much.

payment proof likes this.