Worst Marketing Strategy??

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by homebus, Oct 27, 2008.

1. homebus

homebus New Member

Hi folks.

What's your worst marketing strategy and why?
  2. molyda

molyda New Member

AdWords!

You gotta know what you're doing and how to pick and bid on the right keywords! Otherwise, the cost can be very high for "testing it" if you don't know what you're doing. I think it's an expensive way of marketing. But then again, like I said, I don't understand it well so I may have done the wrong thing and it didn't work for me!
  3. pip87

pip87 New Member

I must agree with Molyda mine is adwords too because i spent a lot of money advertising on there and got very little in return from promoting through adwords. I do beleive if you know whar your doing with it though it can be very profitable!

Another one for me is press releases i find them very daunting not sure why!
  4. opendomain

opendomain New Member

The worst ever was the Ruffee approach. This is where you use rohypnol to subdue your potential business partner then while they are "napping" you use their hand to sign documentation. The retention rate on this is well below 2%

[​IMG] JK

The worst is the one you know nothing about but costs you tons. (Which for most is Adwords)

Other contenders are:
    Craig's List if you don't know how to use it as it can be a waste of time.

Buying bulk email lists and spamming as in some cases it's just down right illegal.

Marketing to friends...unless you're driving a corvette and are making huge sums of money, your friends and family will usually think you're out of your damn mind. Don't burn those bridges as they really are your BEST market. Wait till you can prove to them what you're doing then invite them to your success...not to your half baked un proven program/site/product.
  5. pcwork

pcwork New Member

PPC programs like Adwords can be very expensive , if you do not get a good ROI
  6. MyOwnBoss

MyOwnBoss New Member

There won't be a need to invite people. The people around see you suddenly rolling in disposable income - they'll ask you where it's coming from. If you give them an answer like, "Just a business I joined.", and let it drop, they'll follow you around begging you to help them get started in it too...

opendomain: Marketing to friends...unless you're driving a corvette and are making huge sums of money, your friends and family will usually think you're out of your damn mind. Don't burn those bridges as they really are your BEST market. Wait till you can prove to them what you're doing then invite them to your success...not to your half baked un proven program/site/product.
  7. opendomain

opendomain New Member

Exactly.
    Most programs teach you to hit your warm market first. Big mistake in my opinion, unless you're already successful, but then like you said you don't really have to invite people as your friends and family will see you having more and more money, at which point they'll ask how and THEN your warm market really is a guaranteed thing.
  8. westfam11

westfam11 Member

The worst marketing strategy is to "Not do any marketing at all". You would be surprised that some people have a website and then just think that somehow people will flock to it without any work whatsoever.

That's probably not what you were looking for but that is what came to mind when I saw your question.

Becky
  9. homebus

homebus New Member

Hey some good answers there. i have to agree with those who say adwords and adsense. for me too, these just did not work well at all. and of course as Becky says, if you do nothing at all with your website business, nothing will happen.............john
  10. mrslalas

mrslalas New Member

I have heard alot about adsense. I never knew it was all that bad. I don't know how to use it. [​IMG]
  11. homebus

homebus New Member

some people swear by adsense and adwords - why, I don't know - most of what i have read of others's experiences is negative.

thanks for all the replies folks............john
  12. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I agree with Becky.

Reading e book after e book, buying miracle tools... being scattered about without inspired action and focus, or taking action from a place of frustration is not a good strategy.

Once in a while I have a day where I just do not "feel like it". So, I grab a DVD, or book and take the afternoon off!
    Usually something from my ABRAHAM-Hicks library[​IMG]

Victoria
  13. madnawat

madnawat New Member

Well.. Stretegy that dose not work for your business is worst marketing stretegy for you. Not all marketing stretegies work for all businesses.
  14. KTB

KTB New Member

The worst marketing strategy you can have is not having one at all .

Or trying things hear and there and not committing to it.

If you are going to use google ad words, then you need to focus on it, learn all you can, work it and get GOOD at it.

If you fel like you do not have the patience or time to learn or work on a strategy then you need to outsource it.

Another thing once you know what strategies you want to use, then you need to have a system in place for them.

Hope this helps.
  15. homebus

homebus New Member

remember also, that to be making money online with adsense you're never really going to make a living from that alone. most folk say its just pennies from adsense. and with adwords you really need to know what you're doing to be making money on the internet, because if you don't you may be tempted to just continually throw money at it to try and drum up some clicks.

thanks again guys for all your input - interesting.....

.............John
  16. newpage

newpage New Member

Why would you want to waste your life learning what
    the worst marketing strategies are?

Instead ask what the best ones are.

Do you often find yourself asking,

"Hey how do you not get there from here?"
  17. Mr Ed

Mr Ed New Member

The worst marketing strategy is misleading people into thinking that they can do practically nothing and be successful. It's dishonest and usually illegal.
  18. drknlvly6781

drknlvly6781 Member

All the things that people have said here are true, but I have to say the worst marketing technique that I have used (and still use from time to time today for some strange reason) are leads.

I only deal with free leads, and they are a headache. When I get them, most are really old, so they don't remember what they have signed up to or anything. I have only had one hit from free leads.

Paid leads are even worse. I personally have never used them, but I hear the same problems that I have with the free ones people have. So I know I am not going to waste my money on what I am getting for free.

I guess I use the leads because I want to know what is working and what isn't. Maybe one day they will work. I don't spend much time on them, so it isn't really hindering me from better marketing techniques.

I am so glad however, to have found an opportunity that has taught me and continues to teach me new, effective, and free marketing techniques. Else I may have just been on to the next so called big thing.
  19. nypbbob

nypbbob New Member

Anything MLM. Its not a marketing technique, its an over rated business practice that turns 98% of people off (consumers that is or actual end "users) when they hear the word MLM. If it smells like MLM, tastes like MLM, then run. Start a 7-11 with a limited partner from India. You maybe broke up front, but at least you'll probably see a kick butt return faster than MLM [​IMG]
  20. CashResolution

CashResolution New Member

My worst strategy I think was using post cards that I never seen before. I ordered post cards from a company and never got to see then before they left out. That was a terrible mistake [​IMG] Now, I do the design myself and pretty successful [​IMG]