Would like some opinions!!!

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Newb, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Newb

Newb New Member

I have been wanting my own business for awhile now but need somehelp with a website. I don't know where to begin on building a website. Should i pay to have someone that know's what their doing do it? Is there a site where i can go to practice building one? I just am overwhelmed with this and not sure where to begin. Some of the stuff i read on here is way over my head. I do know what i would like to be affiliated with but don't know anything about building a website or how to get things on a website. Thanks for everyone's help.
  2. Julsy

Julsy New Member

I don't know anything really to help you, but I do know that I got a hosting .com of my own through Godaddy.com and they were very helpfull. So, what I am thinking is that maybe if you go through them, they may be able to give you all the assistance you might need. But, your right in that it maybe much better for you, if you had someone with experience that you could contact whenever you wanted for help.
  3. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello Newb,

The easiest place to start is Weebly.
    You can build a free site and blog, no worries about a domain or hosting.
    Google Weebly tutorial. and you should be able to find a video on how to use the site builder.

If you want to rank fast, if this is for commercial purposes, you may consider Squidoo.
    Of course you need your market and keyword phrase research to be completed too.

This is where I began 2 years ago.
    PM me if you need help,
    Victoria
  4. Hexum88

Hexum88 New Member

As you can see, building your own website is much more than building a website and building a website is only one step in a long process.

NTC has some great advice, but as you can see there is still research involved and other factors to consider. Getting a professional website built can be expensive but if you have the money to do so, it can be worth it.

Weebly, Godaddy and GDI are great places to start off on your own as they provide hosting. Weebly and GDI offer webstie builders and templates to help you.

I would also look into signing up under a sponsor that will provide training so you get off on the right foot.

Good luck!
  5. Newb

Newb New Member

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading that it is better to have a paid website than a free one is that so?
  6. Hexum88

Hexum88 New Member

In my experience, that is true. You've heard all of the sayings, "there's no such thing as a free lunch", or "Gotta spend money to make money", or "you get what you pay for". In essence, these are all true but there are some great programs out there that are inexpensive.

And like I said, some sponsors you sign up under provide you with your own website, all you need is a your own domain name and domain forwarding.
  7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Actually, it depends on what kind of site you are wanting to get out there... with places like Squidoo and blogs, they rank high already with Google so those are fine plus they are a great place to get your feet wet....

I would follow NTC's advice and start with something like Weebly... what will happen is that as you go along, things will start coming together for you and then once you have your brain wrapped around it you will have more direction on what to go with as far as a paid site.

Weebly will walk you thru setting everything up, and once you are ready to build a paid site, you can actually move a lot of stuff over with the wonderful copy and paste method... [​IMG]

Don't laugh, but I didn't even know how to copy and paste when I first got started... now you all know why I am so challenged with techy stuff - lol
  8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Newb: I have been wanting my own business for awhile now but need somehelp with a website.
    The key phrase in your post (to me) were "my own business." The fact that you want your own business should steer you in the direction of having a proper website with your own domain, hosting, etc., so that you will be seen as a legitimate business and an authority on whatever subject your business is going to focus on.

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading that it is better to have a paid website than a free one is that so?

I have nothing against all the free services and options that have been mentioned, but I see no point in "playing around" with all these when your main goal is "your own business." As they say here in Australia, "just get stuck into it."

I appreciate your confusion and the feeling of being overwhelmed. I think everyone who starts online faces this at some point - usually immediately. [​IMG]

Yes, you can pay someone to build a website for you, but I don't usually recommend that for 2 reasons.

1. As Hexum88 pointed out, it can be very expensive.
    2. Unless you already have an understanding of how it should be done and who to employ to do it, you have no guarantee that they will do it right.

There's no point spending big bucks on a website that looks lovely and functions efficiently if you can't get any visitors to it without paying for them. That's crucial.

Like you, I had absolutely no idea how to build a website or an online business when I started out. Everything sounded like a foreign language and I was utterly confused and discouraged and thinking about writing the whole idea off as useless.

Finally I ran across SiteBuildIt (SBI) and that made all the difference in the world to me. I learned to build my own websites without having to learn all the code involved.

More importantly, I learned how to build a website business that gets free search engine traffic because it is based on keyword research, proper keyword placement, and quality content.

You can do the same thing with any subject/niche you choose, even if you are like I was and have no prior knowledge or experience.

You can spend months (or even years) trying to figure out how to do it on your own, "practicing" with the various free blogs and sitebuilders, searching out tutorials, and trying to understand all the ins and outs.

Personally, I would suggest you save yourself the headaches and the hassle and learn to do it right the very first time using a business building program that has earned a reputation for helping people build successful web businesses no matter how experienced or inexperienced they may be.

Blessings,
    Angie
  9. Sonni

Sonni New Member

It's a good idea to start out with free ones so that you at least are doing something and learning how to set up a site and are taking some form of action.

Many people never take action for whatever reason. It's great to learn and research, but at some point you have to do something or you will not make any progress.
    Sonni
  10. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

You have gotten a lot of advice here and here is one more bit for you...[​IMG]

If you decide to go with SBI - Angie is an awesome SBI coach [​IMG]