Would this idea work?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by angiesm345, Apr 25, 2007.

1. angiesm345 New Member

I'm changing jobs, taking a pay cut and need to supplement my income. I was planning on getting a part time job (walmart etc.) but I stumbled on the work at home concept. I like research and enjoy finding the best bang for my buck. I find myself helping people make educated purchases - for example a lady at work would like to start golfing. I know her budget and have been looking at sites to try and find a good beginners set of clubs that would be affordable. I've also helped people pick tires and have helped people decide what brand/type of vehicle to buy and have helped negotiate the best purchase price and interest rate.
    A lot of people I know are overwhelmed with sites such as ebay etc. Since time is so important to people would there be a demand for someone to research and recommend items for consumers? If so, how would I market this service? Thanks!
  2. getagrip Gold Member

Well, sorta.

If you are talking about doing what you described offline, you could just throw some flyers together, pass them out, and see what the response is.

If, however, you are talking about doing this online, it is an entirely different ball game, but your idea has a lot of merit. Here's why:

People search for all kinds of things online - they are looking for reviews and information on specific products. What you can do is set up web pages and blogs to review different products, and you can make money be promoting their affiliate programs, or you can cash in on Adsense, which pays YOU when people click on ads from your website.

So, there is a lot of potential to do what you are talking about, but in a slightly different way than you are thinking about. But hey, you can just try your idea offline and see what happens! [IMG]
  3. pcwork New Member

Get people to subscribe for a service online will be difficult, a website would work better
  4. makemoneyonline New Member

I agree with pcwork!
  5. talfighel Silver Member

There are people and companies already doing this online and offline.

I don't see why you can't do the same. If you like to be competitive then go ahead and do it.

If you really believe that you can do this and you are passionate about this then JUST DO IT and take action.

Tal
  6. Homeboy New Member

Oh I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by ebay, lol. Most people in my family freeze up in terror when they look at ebay for some reason, lolll. I guess it 'looks' complicated but it's really not. Good luck trying to convince them tho, haha....
  7. cebarber2 New Member

It sounds similar to Consumer Reports in some ways. People are constantly looking for referrals, whether it's a product or a service. Everyone's time is limited. Your idea could be a big timesaver for many. Go for it!
  8. happywife Gold Member

It definitely sounds like it could be a niche you could build a site around. You could either choose a specific type of product (I know a guy that has a vacuum cleaner review site and a juicer review site), or you can build a site offering your review service for whatever product they need help with.

That second option would be a lot more time consuming if your site took off. Imagine having 10, 20, 50 people a day needing you to find them the best deal on that same amount of different products. I think you would be hard pressed to do a good job for all of them.

However, if you choose a particular niche - like my juicer friend - then you could do all of your research as you build, going over every type of juicer - the pros and cons, the price range, the best place to get a bargain, etc.

You could even have pages listing those particular items that are available on ebay at any given time with an RSS feed or widgets or something.

Definitely a concept worth considering.

If you are really into it, you can "brand" yourself, so to speak and develop a whole series of sites on different niche products - Angie's Golf Club Reviews, Angie's Tire Reviews, Angie's ... (great name by the way [IMG] ).

Well, just some thoughts.

All the best,
    Angie

**edited** I just realized that this is an older revived thread [IMG] and "that" Angie may no longer be with us. Well, still, it is a good concept someone else may want to consider. [IMG]
  9. GratefullyRich New Member

Consumer products is an never ending market and if one chooses with care the right product and initiates a proper advertising mechanism and avoid using scam material, success is bound to follow.
  10. RICH4NURICHE New Member

From what you described, it sounds like you should look into becoming a concierge. There are pro's and con's to it so beware. Best of luck.
  11. rover New Member

Like to do research? Try joining like the warriors forum. Probably could get some work from the heavy hitters there. Likely in the least they coulld steer you to websites where you could post yourself as a freelance researcher.

I would certainly believe there is a market on the net for what you want to do.

Good luck to ya!
  12. paolo4 New Member

Hi,

I think with each experience, writing it down and creating an ebook
    would then be a product to sell even on ebay or anywhere else online.

All the best
    Paolo
  13. tireswing New Member

paolo4: Hi,

I think with each experience, writing it down and creating an ebook
    would then be a product to sell even on ebay or anywhere else online.

All the best
    Paolo

There are a million ebooks. Please don't suggest that he add to their worthless multitudes.