Would You Build a Website or a Blog?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by Syll Onajobi, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Syll Onajobi

Syll Onajobi New Member

Assuming You Want to Make Money Online, and you were to choose from either

Building A Website or A Blog, which One Will You Choose?

- Give Reasons why you think your choice will better help you to make money online compared to the other?

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Welcome to the forum, Syll.

I would choose the blog platform over the traditional static website. That way I could create a hybrid website/blog and enjoy the best of both worlds.

So for example, I could create a static home page and use posts to add fresh content often and engage visitors through the comments box. This setup would allow me to promote products and services up front and keep Google happy with new content.

I could go a step further and keep the static portion of the home page above the fold, and include post excerpts on the lower portion to move visitors deeper into the site quickly.

And when you consider how easy it is these days for a complete novice (no coding or HTML knowledge required) to create sites with a CMS system, I'd say the blog is the way to go.

Hermas

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I agree with Hermas. The only exception to that would be if one has NO idea what SEO is, or keyword research, etc... then something like SBI ( SiteBuildIt) would be a great choice as it will teach you everything you need to know as you build a very functional website that can generate a substantial income for you.

Inquirer17 likes this.
  4. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

I would blog the reason being that users will keep coming back if new content is posted regularly

5. Isle|

Isle| New Member

We chose to create a website using Wix and include our blog, too on the platform which doesn't require coding and features a new website everyday. Generating fresh content and pinging the search engines and letting the spiders crawl over the information might help, but the most effective method we've discovered is to implore video distribution.

6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I'd also start with a blog, simply because they are easy to set up. Once you get your blog established and making some money for you, there is always time to set up a website.

updateyourpages likes this.
  7. updateyourpages

updateyourpages New Member

I believe that A8ch hit the nail on the head. Blogging provides fresh content to engage visitors!

payment proof likes this.
  8. Tom Nalis

Tom Nalis New Member

Hermas seems to summarize exactly my thoughts on this. I'm using a combination of static and blog content which works perfectly. You can easily set up the navigation experience a visitor will have going through your site. Maybe some introduction or explanation about the site is more static and crucial to start with but after you want to offer your visitors dynamic content that is useful to them so blogging definitely is the way to go there. I decided to go for WordPress which offers a very easy way to start blogging but also gives a lot of features and benefits once you are ready for a next step and want to go for a more professional navigation experience. The many plugins and extremely powerful themes (like Divi 2 from Elegant Themes) give you the possibility to create a super professional looking website with blogging as its core! Enjoy setting up your site!

Tom

[Links go in the signature - Admin]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  9. SandraGJ

SandraGJ Member

It all depends on what kind of business you're running. Having a blog and a website at the same time is the best option but if I had to choose one I'd say blog. The only tricky thing is that a blog will require you more time if you're planning to write articles by yourself and promote it at the same time.

10. alannah gibney

alannah gibney New Member

first you need to build a site and then start to add your blog. Adding a blog makes your site more user friendly especially if you keep adding constant updates. Don't forget to add images also to your blog post to make it more informative.

11. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe Member

Just as Hermas suggested, "I could create a hybrid website/blog and enjoy the best of both worlds", I would do the same.

I would also choose to setup a WordPress site, which will give you the suggested hybrid site. There is plenty of online training and a multitude of plugins available. A WP site is also easy to maintain.

12. KB24

KB24 Active Member

I would build a website with a blog. The blog is to keep my website fresh of content plus building out my website in building pages..

13. Russell Toews

Russell Toews Member

This is AWESOME! Do you know where do I get a Wordpress theme that does this?

14. Russell Toews

Russell Toews Member

Quoting myself seems bizarre but this is a different thought I just had.

Nearly the same effect can be done on a blog site with a sticky post serving as your static page. But it wouldn't be excerpts under the sticky/static post though.