Wrapping Your Car in an Ad?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Jolly Badger, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Jolly Badger

Jolly Badger New Member

I just joined this forum, though I have been working from home for the past two and a half years as a Call Options/Switchboard attendant. I like my current position, but am always on the lookout for other ways to make a bit of extra money.

Recently I have been in contact with a gentleman from a beverage company about "wrapping" my car in an advertisement for their product. I know that this is a common method of advertising, but I don't know enough about it to tell how good of a "deal" it is for the owner of the vehicle.

He said that they pay $300/week (paid biweekly) to use the car for ad space. The minimum length of time is one month. The "wrap" would have to be applied by the vehicle owner, is not damaging to the paint of the vehicle, and can be "easily removed" when the advertisement time is over (3 months).

I asked him if there is specific "mileage" requirement per day, and he responded that I would just drive the car as I normally would, run errands, etc.

Has anyone done something like this before? Are there any "red flags" I should be aware of, or specific questions I should ask to be sure this is a legitimate offer? I did check the name of the product being sold, and it is a real product. . .so I'm not as concerned about that. I just don't want to end up trashing up my vehicle and having to spend everything they pay me just to get it fixed.

Any and all suggestions/advice appreciated!

Happy trails,

Jolly Badger
  2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I have not done this before and don't wish to ever do it but if this makes you money, why not. Just make sure that they are going to pay you. Try it out and see how it works out then let us know. Would love to see if it works or not for you. All the best.
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Wrapped ads have been on buses and trains since the 1990s and the concept is becoming more and more popular as advertisers move to autowraps to combat the shortage of outdoor advertising space. Yahoo! started a campaign with wrapped taxis in New York City. Even companies like Sony and Head and Shoulders have gotten in on the action.

Depending on your arrangement with the advertiser, the monthly earnings from an autowrap can cover your car note, and you just have to use your car as you normally would. Some advertisers do require you to know sufficient about the product so that you can answer any questions you may get as you tool around town.

And, according to companies who broker these arrangements, drivers are lining up on waiting lists in the tens of thousands to use their wheels and get in on the deal.

Hermas
  4. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

The advertising is effective. Car magnets work for people in networking home business and other business so it's a viable method. Just understand the terms. However, you could also be doing this for your own business and making more in the long term especially with a monthly residual paying opportunity.
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I'd also like to know if this works and if you get paid. Please let us know Jolly Badger.
  6. BrownAdvantage

BrownAdvantage New Member

I had magnets on my car once but then one day I was out shopping and I came back and one was missing! I was not happy. As a result, I'm hesitant about buying new ones.
  7. Jeanny

Jeanny New Member

Hey, I had magnets onmy car too, it was a very convinient way to advertise, until someone started scratching my car with his keys, how it seems. Real A***
  8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Yeah, that is one of the reasons why I don't want to advertise my business online this way. There are only 9-10 real nasty people in the world that will do this (I got that from Jim Rohn's audio.) They move around a lot these days. I can park my car in a mall and some idiot who hates his life may come to my car and peel it off with his keys....No way.