Yoga for stress relief and health

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by alanis, Jan 31, 2009.

1. alanis

alanis New Member

Hello All! I have heard some really good things about Yoga but I need to ask if it can also help relieve stress?

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Definitely! Yoga is one of the best ways to reduce stress. Just doing half an hour of basic postures can bring about a great deal of improvement in your health and overall well-being. However, don't expect a change overnight. Keep doing for at least 2-3 weeks to see some noticeable difference.

3. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I agree with Vishal! Next to meditating and walks, Yoga is my 3rd "go to" for stress relief. It took me a few weeks to "feel" the effects as well, perhaps a month. But it is something to keep with..the rewards are great!
    Good Luck[​IMG]

4. bdkfreedom

bdkfreedom New Member

Yes, yoga is a great way to relieve stress! Joining a yoga class at a local gym would be a great idea for anyone to try! You will definitely be glad you did after a few sessions!

5. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

Rosie1:
    I agree with Vishal! Next to meditating and walks, Yoga is my 3rd "go to" for stress relief. It took me a few weeks to "feel" the effects as well, perhaps a month. But it is something to keep with..the rewards are great!
    Good Luck
    Yoga is one of the best things to do for stress relief. Walking my dog 3-4 miles a day is my no. 1 stress reliever, for Bear (my dog) and me! I do not mediate, but another great stress reliever is to soak in the tub with a little lavender essential oil in the water.

6. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Annadenise,

Ah, How could I leave out a good relaxing bath for stress relief?! So true!

7. livinghealthy

livinghealthy New Member

I so agree with what has been said. I was having a rough morning today and headed out to yoga class. By the end of the class, I was totally relaxed and ready to face the rest of the day. I was motivated and energized for the first appointment of the day. Give it a try and let the stress and tightness melt away.

8. rubsync

rubsync New Member

I started my yoga class just recently.. good thing about it is that it really keeps away my stress...

9. volybal3

volybal3 New Member

Hello all:

I have recently discovered Yoga through P90X by Tony Horton. At the beginning I will have to admit, Yoga seemed kind of funny to me because I thought it was all this weird stuff. Then I tried it... and I'm so glad I did it.

Yoga focuses on your weak points, it is strength, flexibility, and balance... the whole deal. After you are done with your regular Yoga routine, you feel like a million dollars. It is like having a massage on your entire body. I would definitely recommend anyone to try it, specially as a form to release stress.

Best of luck,

10. crosewood

crosewood New Member

yup, yoga's great. it stretches and tones your muscles. plus, instructors usually incorporate meditation at the end of the class. a great way to get "centered" again [​IMG]

11. weblearner

weblearner New Member

Yes yoga is excellent to relieve stress. But you should do it continue.
    Otherwise you'll not get any result.

12. mediafreak

mediafreak New Member

Definitely, it relieves stress. It is one of the recommended stress relief techniques.

This is how it works. Yoga concentrates on combining breathing with physically stretching muscles. It is about the release of negative energy and replacing it with positive energy. Not only does yoga relieve and give rest to tired muscles; it also revitalizes body and soul. It provides the body with the means to deal with daily stress.

13. Ann Williams

Ann Williams New Member

Years ago my doctor recommended yoga to get better flexibility in my joints (especially in the feet and ankles). I practiced everyday, and after about a month, it loosened my stiff ankles and feet so that I could walk better and much further. The stress from being limited was replaced with positive thoughts and energy.

14. rocketruiz

rocketruiz New Member

hi,

i believe in yoga wholeheartedly! yoga helps relax , tone, condition the entire body. it can be modified to suite any BODY at any stage in their lives. i am also a believer in yoga breathing and meditation. please try it. you will love it! class support is great as you will be able to meet new people and enjoy the energy that each brings to the class.

Relaxation is key to yoga. breathing and listening to your breath helps you check in with your body. my sister just recently fell pregnant too. she had started yoga and was trying to destress. yoga helps with conception~ [​IMG]

listen to music, laugh and be thankful.. this too helps relax the soul!

namase and blessings on your journey

15. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

Yoga definitely can take stress out and give you quick relief in your bpdy.

16. connor_zen

connor_zen New Member

17. writerros

writerros New Member

Yes - I agree with everyone - yoga is good for almost everything, particularly stress!

I believe it is also very good for the immune system and it also exercises the internal organs as well as the muscles, which can help to relieve various conditions.

I do it every morning and start the day feeling relaxed and toned!

18. smithgerry

smithgerry New Member

Practically all can see physical benefits from yoga, and its practice can also give psychological benefits, such as stress reduction and a sense of well-being, and spiritual benefits, such as a feeling of association with God or Spirit, or a feeling of excellence. Certain poses can be done just about anywhere and a yoga program can go for hours or minutes, depending on one's schedule.

19. anne12

anne12 New Member

Hello Friends..........

Many of the popular techniques found to reduce stress derive from yoga

1.Controlled breathing

2.meditation

3.Physical movement

4.mental imagery

5.stretching

Thanks

20. faye

faye New Member

Personally, I am more of a runner, but some of my friends have been talking about their yoga classes forever, so I am kind of curious. The question that I have: is there a certain type of yoga that is really good for beginners? I heard of Bikram Yoga, Hatha Yoga (which is supposed to have a lot to do with breathing, yes?) and so on.

Anyone have an opinion? Did anyone switch to a different kind after a while and if so, why?