Yoga for stress relief and health

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by alanis, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Listen to your body not others opinions. Anything that gives you joy, peace and rest, is something that you must stick with and do again and again. Don't hop from one form to another. The goal of all activities is the same - to give you joy.

2. taz87

taz87 Member

While yoga is interesting to me. There are a few reasons why I haven't tried...usually I am the first in the pack that tries something new but not this time. First of all it seems like a sport for women...I never seen a man doing yoga it is ALWAYS women whether in tv,clubs or gyms. Second of all I don't think my body have that flexibility i am scared to break something!
    I don't even know Where do i even start?

Taz

3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

taz87: it seems like a sport for women
    Hey Taz, you might want to try Tai Chi or Qigong, a little more "manly".
    Both will improve flexibility and breathing plus you'll look cool doing it.
    YouTube can show you how.
    InJoy,
    jimmy

4. Vishal P. Rao

taz87: First of all it seems like a sport for women...I never seen a man doing yoga it is ALWAYS women whether in tv,clubs or gyms.
    First of all, Yoga is not a sport. It's a integrative discipline involving both the mind and the body.

Take any authoritative book on yoga and you'll find it authored by a man (not the new age commercial books).

taz87: Second of all I don't think my body have that flexibility i am scared to break something!
    Well that's the reason you don't like Yoga. Men have strong egos and they cannot let go easily. Hence they are very rigid. As a result, doing Yoga brings lot of pain to them. And hence they are more inclined to adrenaline boosting activities which further bolster their egos.

Women on other hand are more open and flexible. As a result, they enjoy doing yoga.

You cannot enjoy doing Yoga unless you know the essence of Yoga. It's not just stretching. You cannot force your body to stretch. It's learning to let go, both your mind and your body, simultaneously. Once you learn to let go, you'll automatically become flexible.

5. taz87

taz87 Member

Just2EZ: Hey Taz, you might want to try Tai Chi or Qigong
    I will check them out, thanks for the suggestion Just2EZ
    Vishal P. Rao: Well that's the reason you don't like Yoga...
    Vishal I never said I don't like yoga?
    I did however point out that Yoga is associated with women around me..at least how i see it, as for the whole my body flexibility part that is my opinion..I don't know anything about yoga, you do so I will take your facts/word for it.
    What reading would you recommend?
    Taz

6. Vishal P. Rao

I would highly recommend Moving into Stillness by Erich Schiffmann. However, let me tell you, Yoga is not just about doing postures. There have been various branches that seem to have sprouted like Power Yoga, etc. This has nothing to do with the original Yoga. You need to have some inclination towards Meditation or Spirituality to really enjoy yoga. If you don't like slowing down or being still (or don't want to), then you simply cannot enjoy doing yoga. And it is very likely that you'll quit.

7. taz87

taz87 Member

I will hunt that book down,cheers [​IMG]
    True but I don't know till I try.
    Taz

8. Vishal P. Rao

9. taz87

taz87 Member

Cheers Vishal [​IMG]

10. DianeShepard

DianeShepard New Member

Every person is different so it depends if yoga is something you like for it to relieve stress. There is no 'one size fits all' method to relieve stress so it is best if it is tried, if no progress move onto a new method.

Diane