Your First Website - Was It About Making Money Online?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by gobala, Sep 1, 2006.

1. gobala

gobala New Member

Just a quick survey of anyone who has or is planning to have a website. The reason I'm asking this is becasue from my experience, most people build a "Get Rich" type of website when they first get started on the Internet, and it's one of the toughest markets for a newbie to be in..

So go along with me, and we'll get an idea of the truth

======================================

Question: "Your First Website - Was It About "Making Money Online?"

Answer first: Yes or No

Then provide some explanation. Tell us what happened, and why...
  2. gobala

gobala New Member

Let me go first...

Answer: NO

The first website I ever built was about electric guitars. It started out as a hobby and I eventually figured that I can make some money out of it. Started out slow, but I was soon making $200 - $300 a month from this free website, hosted with Geocities.

But then it took a turn for the worst. I wanted to make more, and there were so many programs out there claiming they can make you rich. All you need to do it to get a website, and promote their program.

And thats exactly what I did. I had 3 websites to promote a particular company. One to promote the opportunity, and 2 to promote different product lines.

I soent a good 2 years building Make Money Online type of site when I really didnt make much money myself.

Those sites are still up, but right now I focus on building my own product sites and forums. To be honest, now Internet marketing looks like its really working.

It's not wrong to build a Make Money Online type of site, but remember that the competition is steep in this area. You will probably fail. If you don't want to fail, then you need to build a site about YOU and YOUR BUSINESS first, and then promote other opportunities on that site..

If the MLM company goes out of business, your website is not effected at all...

Anyone else care to contribute?
  3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Answer: Yes

My first website was raovishal.com [Don't go and check that site, I don't even own that domain now [​IMG]] and it was about making money online. Back then (1999-2000), in my country, not many new about Internet marketing and the website was sheer out of curiosity. Somewhere down the line, when I started to get a hang of things and search engines, I figured it was not going to be easy with the domain name. So after thre four sites, many of the names I don't even remember, came home-based-business-opportunities.com, which was very successful. However, after 3 good years, it ran out of fuel. Maybe somebody cast an evil eye on it [​IMG] Then it was this forum which came to my rescue and it's doing quite well now.

However, any site from now won't be an "Make Money" site. That's for sure.
  4. gobala

gobala New Member

I didn't know that, Vishal...

And it looks like the HBBO website has changed dramatically as well... somehow i preferred the old one, especially the logo. This logo... there's just something wrong with it..
  5. gobala

gobala New Member

I just want to add...

There are many that make money with websites that teach you how to make money, but these are specific niche topics..

If you're specialized in something it helps you move forward. It's the MLM-type / work-at-home business opportunity websites that I'm talking about here...
  6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

No
    My first website was just a catalog for my main business, there were no advertising options then
  7. netvalar

netvalar New Member

answer - no

My first website was running groups on several free muds (txt based mmorg). The problem was came when I accepted a promotion at work and couldn't devote as much time to the websites. I had grown the one site into 3 sites for 3 different games while keeping them interelated, bringing traffic into each site from the other sites. Most of the promotions came from the game and my members recruitments. I moved most of the group info into forums and group set-ups so that I could easily transfer the operations to someone else and keep the groups alive. A couple years later I went back to one of the games and found that the group I had left was doing great wished I had stayed I could have put that success to work on other ventures I entered into later.
  8. Emil_Iliev

Emil_Iliev New Member

answer - Yes

My first website was home-job.ws.
    It is my only one site. I have success with it, and i will keep
    working on it!
  9. gregriv69

gregriv69 New Member

My first website was about making money online.
  10. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Yep...my first web site was about making money - and has gone through about a million renditions! But, I have made money with it! However, I think what you say about making money websites is true - there is a lot of competition in this area - if you can find a niche area to start off in, it can pay big dividends...but make money websites do pay if you market them the right way.
  11. icesar

icesar New Member

Yes - FleeTheCube.com More than making money, it's meant as a blog about my progress in internet business. It's been a great experience, but only in the last few months has it started bringing in much money at all (nothing much for the first 8 months.)
  12. DrewCharlie

DrewCharlie New Member

NO

i made my first site when i was 9, it was about my hobbies at the time.

surfing, skateboarding and some other stuff. I played around with these for a while.

Now I have many websites about stuff i like.. performance cars, racing, guitars. My personal sites make a ton of money [​IMG]
  13. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

No. My first website is a school project.

Only when i started working, then i had the thinking to earn online.
  14. Hemjoe

Hemjoe New Member

yes, my first site doesn't exist anymore, but yes it was about making money online and i still have a site about this as well, signature, but i do own other sites and in the process of researching a niche and gathering information so i can build the next site [​IMG] but like you said there is a lot of competition and i dont see my making money online site (signature) there to make me money it is there to help others from my experiences.
  15. opendomain

opendomain New Member

No-
    It was actually a guild website for an online game I used to play...yes I AM THAT NERDY. [​IMG]

I was originally draw to the net for games then the
    Entrepreneur came out in me and I started marketing off and on since about 2000
  16. pcwork

pcwork New Member

No, my first website was on a totally different subject
  17. happywife

happywife Gold Member

My first site was on chocolate candy!!! [​IMG] It certainly kept me interested. Maybe a little too interested. I swear I gained 10 lbs. building that site! [​IMG]
  18. gchildren

gchildren New Member

My first website (which I still own and run) was a reseller site for children's computer products. This introduced me to making money on the internet.

I have just recently added an affiliate marketing website to my streams of income. Yes, it is more difficult to market this type of product.

John
  19. jschuman

jschuman New Member

My first site is still going good, Team-Schuman.com and it is in the make money niche. I do think a better way is the work from home niche which never seems to run out of prospects.

However, I say an even better way is to start a website in an area of expertise or one you have a passions for and you will do great with that because it interests you.
  20. mdotwhite

mdotwhite Guest

My first website was pretty simple. It was all about me. I had it build while I was in college. I ran it for three years.