Your Phone Number

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by opendomain, Sep 7, 2007.

1. opendomain

opendomain New Member

I've noticed on several sites as well as on several sigs phone numbers to what I can only assume are home or cell phones. My question is:

Your phone number is wide open for anyone to use to call you. Do you find yourself getting prank calls or for the most part are all calls you get legitimate?
  2. itsjoanne

itsjoanne New Member

I've used my cell number for some advertising. Its unlisted. It has resulted in calls about my business, and a couple of sign ups.

I've also had calls that were unwanted solicitations but never any calls I would say were prank or malicious.

What I would never do is have my address on a web site. I've seen some that do.

It's good for people to have a way to contact you but they don't need your physical address to do this. So I don't know why some people include that.

Joanne
  3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Unfortunately, I think nowadays that if people have your phone number than get your address pretty easily.

I don't know for sure if I would put my phone number out there in my signature, but I think it is something you should be cautious about.
  4. cmartel

cmartel New Member

I list my phone number on by copywriting website (http://www.communicatebetter.org) as it is a business line. If people want to waste their time pranking it, well, there's nothing I can really do about that. I want my customers to know that they can contact someone personally, that there is a real person behind the website.

It has increased my conversions ten-fold.
  5. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

If your going to put your phone number on your website, I'd recommend getting a seperate cell phone for your business - that way you can avoid the pranksters and scammers from bothering you at home. You may never get a call from a prankster or scammer (or weirdo), but its better to be safe than sorry, and you can always change the number to your cell phone at a later date if these kinds of calls start coming in.
  6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

It entirely depends upon the nature of your online business and your comfort level in regards to risk. If you do post your phone number, get a separate business phone number.

Furthermore, consider a land line so that you don't end up going over your allotted cell phone minutes. Over-the-limit charges are very expensive. The need for mobility may also be a consideration when weighing the use of a land line against using a cell phone.

Newbie Shield
  7. Money4Mommy

Money4Mommy New Member

You can get a free voicemail number @ privatephone.com. They give you a phone number and you can check your messages online. I use this service a lot for completing offers and surveys on CashCrate. Now I don't have to worry about telemarketers calling me all day long.
  8. CSGWAHM

CSGWAHM New Member

I use my cell number for business, but never my private home number. I've only received calls about my business and few solicitors have called promting their home businesses, but no prank calls or anything that would worry me.
  9. jschuman

jschuman New Member

I've had my home phone and cell phone both listed online. What I have found is I hardly ever get any calls, but it does help me establish credibility. Most websites do no list the owner, or in some cased even contact info of any kind.
  10. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Quoting: Money4MommyYou can get a free voicemail number @ privatephone.com. They give you a phone number and you can check your messages online. I use this service a lot for completing offers and surveys on CashCrate. Now I don't have to worry about telemarketers calling me all day long.

Ahhhh, very clever. I'll have to consider that kind of a set up.

Nice job mommy,
    Newbie Shield
  11. Casper

Casper New Member

I'm trying too get a Skype number but when it comes too the list of areas in Australia I don't live in the Melbourne area code which is 039, I live in the 0350 area code how can I overcome this problem and get a Skype number?.
  12. opendomain

opendomain New Member

Quoting: Money4MommyYou can get a free voicemail number @ privatephone.com. They give you a phone number and you can check your messages online. I use this service a lot for completing offers and surveys on CashCrate. Now I don't have to worry about telemarketers calling me all day long.
    I can't believe I missed this. Talk about a saving grace.

Thanks Money4mommy
  13. kim_ward

kim_ward New Member

I always give my cell, never had any trouble. I'm now switching
    over to an 800 number that goes directly to my cell.

Cheers,

Kim
  14. Casper

Casper New Member

I'm now with MyNetFone & they are great & it's all I use now I'm already starting too see the savings, I could not get a local DID number but that really did'nt worry me & everyone I have spoken too has said that it's really clear & better than the land line.