I'm actually sick of it.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Margo Tuul, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Margo Tuul New Member

Hey folks,

I've been just reading some of the post here, where new members come and ask for advice, and then there is number of people, who reply...give advice what is complete b***s*** and at the end recommend something. And surprise-surprise...same recommended products appear in their signatures.

Ok i understand if your advice is something decent, but it isn't. It's total crap.

What got my eye:

Niche to enter - do what you like. Your hobby. Please...C'mon. What kind of advice is that? Do you even know what market research is? Or write about your passion? I have a question:
    how much you know about internet marketing, if your advice is like that? Internet marketing is about selling and promoting products. Products what people want. Not what you think they want. This is business. It's not a sunday market, where local Paddy's come together to sell their handcrafted items. You can have 10,000 posts here, but if you don't even know the basics, then please...learn yourself before you give out advice.

Keyword research - "Look in Google keyword tool, something where competition isn't high. If bar is half 'green', this keyword might be ok. "
    This bar there is for Google Adwords. This bar even says "advertisers competition". If this bar is low, it means people are not bidding on this keyword. If they don't bid, it means its crap. Simple. Keyword research is something you have to learn. If you want...PM me and i will guide you...for free. And you WILL master it. 1000 searches per month, with competition low as 500-600 pages. Hell yea.

Traffic- Squidoo lenses, blogger. Squidoo has so many rules, that soon you'll find all your lenses deleted. Even affiliate marketing is market almost as "Spam". Hello??? How it's spam? That's why i don't create anything there anymore. I don't want to lose my lenses 12 months later, or even sooner. So Squidoo...very bad place. My advice...when you write your articles...write them in MS word. There's method called Document Sharing. Use Document Sharing sites, to upload your articles. There's no rules and you can use duplicate content. Same article on many sites. And trust me...will rank very very high. This is how you pull quality traffic.

I'm so sick of how much "bad" information is going around here. Truly this place is forum marketing hotspot. You can see same people posting same things to new members here. Same recommendations and surprise surprise...you will find all these names in their signatures.

Provide value to your readers. Not some crap advice. Think about it...if your advice doesn't work out for them...your reputation goes down. When i first came here, i was looking at peoples post counts and thought...oh...they must be experienced marketers. But just recently found out...that some of them, don't even know basics of internet marketing.

So people who do this "super forum marketing" here...please...stop. I will report every one of you, for giving crap advice and recommending products found in your own signature to forum admin. He will then decide, is it wrong, or not. If i get banned for doing this...so what. At least i care about new internet marketers who struggle.

All the best,

Margo Tuul
  2. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hmm... maybe I am someone you are referring to, I don't know. I DO admit that I am always learning about SEO and market research.[IMG]

But I ALSO know if you want to build an authority website on something, it doesn't HAVE to be something you are passionate about or a hobby but it helps, as it turns into a drag really quick if you have to write articles and pages about something you don't know much about or haven't had any experience with.

I personally prefer building sites on 'hard goods' or 'real' products versus ebooks or clickbank stuff so I haven't had too much of a problem with Squidoo.

I would recommend using your own hosting and wordpress for newbies to build a site and then use Squidoo as a means to help drive traffic to your site.

margo24: This bar even says "advertisers competition". If this bar is low, it means people are not bidding on this keyword. If they don't bid, it means its crap.
    Not necessarily!

Well maybe... if you are depending on adsense as your means of income off that page but sometimes you can get some decent very targeted keywords with low competition to attract traffic to a good affiliate program.

Also, once you have a nice authority site going, all those lower competition keywords will attract traffic to your site and they will browse to OTHER pages with higher paying keywords.

I have some $5.00 a click keywords on my survival site and although it is very hard to rank for those specific keywords, I get found with the smaller, lower competition ones and the visitors will browse, land and click on pages I would never get found for if I didn't take advantage of the lesser keywords.

You are right, Google is slapping a LOT of affiliate marketers - BUT it is because of black hat techniques that have been used for the past several years and because of that, the good and bad affiliaters get slapped at times.

Which is why, if you build a website where you can speak with authority on something and build it up to where it can make you money ONCE YOU GET ENOUGH traffic to it, you will stand FAR less chance of getting banned by Google for having affiliate links on it.

margo24: So people who do this "super forum marketing" here...please...stop. I will report every one of you, for giving crap advice and recommending products found in your own signature to forum admin. He will then decide, is it wrong, or not. If i get banned for doing this...so what. At least i care about new internet marketers who struggle.
    I agree, although I have done that on a few occasions ... as there are times when I simply am not ashamed to suggest something to someone that I KNOW will help them and that has helped me in my journey.

Otherwise, great post and thanks for sharing![IMG]
  3. Jack New Member

Well I just joined this forum and have been browsing through some of these categories and I agree 100 % about the crap being posted as replies just to get their signatures clicked on.

If this is to be a place for new marketers to come and get some good work at home educational information this crap needs to be cleaned up.

I would not want to find out that I wasted all my time using some of these so called strategies a month or two down the road.

We need to make sure that as professionals the information we are giving to the new marketers is pure and proven.

Getting the right information is very important when you are first starting to build your work at home business. I can remember when I first started and was so hungry to learn the right strategies to build my business only to find out I was bait for the sharks.

Now it is my passion to help new marketers or struggling marketers get the right information to have a chance to build a successful work at home business.
  4. happywife Gold Member

Wow! Interesting, and rather funny. Of course you are entitled to your opinion and preferences regarding online marketing, but just because others may disagree, certainly doesn't make their preferences and opinions of less value.

What's so funny is that you are attacking people for recommending products or services in their signature links here in this forum that they have found helpful in their own online experience and yet your own signature link is a link to the warrior forum where you are promoting your own products. A little more than ironic, I'd say.

I'm not saying that your method of niche research (going for the high value money topics) doesn't work, because it certainly can if done correctly. But the truth is, most people will either not do it correctly because they don't know how, or get bored silly with the subject before they begin to see enough profit to make the mundane and tedium worth pursuing.

I have successful (profitable) sites in both niches that I enjoy and ones that bore me to tears. However, if I had started with one that bored me to tears, I suspect I would have become an IM statistic, like so many others. [IMG]

Suggesting that someone begin with a niche topic that is of interest to them is definitely not "crap" as you describe. It is actually quite wise and helpful advice to those getting started to give them a better chance of learning the ins and outs of online marketing before they give up.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people coming to forums like this one attempting to promote particular products when they have no knowledge or experience of what they are promoting. Sadly, that is a "technique" taught by some less than honest programs.

Vishal, the Admin, does a tremendous job of moderating this forum and keeping the spam down to a minimum, which is a task I certainly do not envy him.

Taking an aggressive and antagonistic attitude toward other marketers is not in the general spirit of this forum. It may be quite common in the warrior forum, but we all try to play nice here. [IMG]

These types of posts may generate some interest, of course, but in the grand scheme of things, they are not helpful. You can just as easily share your own experiences and knowledge without attacking others. In my opinion, it's better for your reputation, too.

Kind regards,
    Angie
  5. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

margo24: I've been just reading some of the post here, where new members come and ask for advice, and then there is number of people, who reply...give advice what is complete b***s*** and at the end recommend something. And surprise-surprise...same recommended products appear in their signatures.
    Why would I recommend something that I don't use when someone asks for advice?

Wouldn't that be hypocritical?

Post count means nothing really. Vishal does a great job at promoting members based on the value they add to the forum.

Which is why it takes time to get to silver or gold member because you need to add value.

I don't think anyone joins an opportunity based on post count though. People can think for themselves. When they ask for advice that is just what they are asking for.. advice on whatever it is they are looking for. Like, What do you do to make money online? Does it work for you? Whats a good company to make money online? How can I make money online writing? etc etc.

Should I recommend something I have never used before? How does that build value?

I'm just a little confused by your post.

Matt
  6. A8ch Gold Member

margo24: Ok i understand if your advice is something decent, but it isn't. It's total crap
    An Internet forum is a public place where people get together to hold conversations on a range of topics, share their experiences, opinions and exchange ideas. And whenever groups of people with vastly different backgrounds and understanding come together to freely discuss any topic, there is bound to be areas of disagreement and inaccuracy.

No surprise there!

It's also not uncommon to find at least one person in the group who values their own perspective above everyone else's. Whether that perspective is justified, or simply a reflection of their own misplaced sense of superiority, arrogance or exuberance, is irrelevant. There always seems to be one in every bunch.

I'm sure you've met annoying people like that.

In any forum discussion, as in real life, there is an implied responsibility on those who are participanting to exercise common sense, and not necessarily take everything that's offered at face value. It's quite alright for individuals to probe further in order to corroborate or dismiss any statement or fact for themselves.

This is especially true for newbies. They are at the biggest disadvantage because their perspective is still being formed, and they are still trying to see the BIG picture.

Here's a great example to highlight my point:

margo24: 1000 searches per month, with competition low as 500-600 pages. Hell yea.
    A beginner might read that and think, "Wow, 1000 searches a month! It would be nice to have that kind of traffic." From where they are, that's probably a worthy and realistic goal to accomplish.

On the other hand, a seasoned marketer might read that and think, "So what! That's not enough traffic for me to even run a decent test!" She's not nearly as impressed with those figures as the newbie. She knows 1000 searches per month breaks down to a little over 30 searches per day or less than 2 searches per hour, and that's not sufficient traffic for her to get excited about, really.

One statement... two opposite perspectives. Neither is wrong, only different.

margo24: My advice...when you write your articles...write them in MS word. There's method called Document Sharing. Use Document Sharing sites, to upload your articles. There's no rules and you can use duplicate content. Same article on many sites.
    The above reference to "duplicate content" may be intended as a slap at article distribution sites, but from where I stand, it also clearly displays a misunderstanding of what duplicate content really means to article distributors and to Google.

So, if I were to adopt your style of communication, I would say something like:

margo24: Ok i understand if your advice is something decent, but it isn't. It's total crap
    How truly helpful is that?

I think that in addition to the degree of understanding and perspective we each bring to a certain subject, we should also be tolerant and respectful of where the other person may be along the path. That approach creates a richer environment for everyone involved to learn, develop and advance... in harmony!

Hermas
  7. jgthomas New Member

mountainmom5
    Hi mountainmom, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to thank you for the information you have provided. I'm at a lost and would like to try building an internet business. I have been overwhelm with information and was just about to give up. I've work in corporate america for 25 plus years and I also started my own registered investment adviory firm with partners. I'm tired of the corporate politics and I made a huge mistake with going into business with partners. I'm tired of the cat and mouse game and wanted to be responsible for myself and I want to toot my own horn. Therefore, I started researching internet businesses. I appreciate your honesty about starting an internet business and expressing your personal experiences. I'm willing to put in the work, I just need honest people who would not mind sharing their experiences.

Thank you,

Jen
  8. weebitty Member

Forum are groups of people with different back grounds, experiences, and knowledge. We are all here to help one another I would hope. Having said that some are suited more toward one way of marketing than another. If you don't like sales you won't do well in a sales enviroment and all the training probably won't help either. [IMG] All of us would like to think we are contributing what we feel is useful information in our own opinions.

People here are very helpful I feel. You just have to read what interests you and leave the rest. This also includes newbies as you so fondly call them. We were all newbies at one time and I think we sometimes forget where we came from. There are those that don't post very helpful information agreed, but you take the bad with the good so to speak. It just comes with the territory. This topic has been the discussion of many many a forum and how to deal with it.

Having said that I think this forum is very helpful for the most part and I have enjoyed reading all the posts. I may not agree with them all of the time but that is ok too. The moderators in most forums have a very tough job and they do the best that they can. JMHO
  9. mreese601 Member

WOW, after reading all of the post, that's about all I can say is WoW! Things getting a little heated.

In my opinion it's part of the process! You will have some good information here and you will have some CRAP! But as a newbie that's part of the learning curve. If you want to be success you have to find someone that have did it all ready and follow in their foot steps. I'm here to help and will do everything in my power, that I know to do just that.

The quickest way to make real money online is to sell what people already is buying. Example go to amazon and look for the best selling items or look for the hot item. Then you want to see how many searches you have per month, the key is 2500 or more searches. Then go to google and do a search for the item and look if it has less than 25,000 competing page then you have a winner where you can get on page one of google and get free traffic. And I have websites on the first page and getting traffic and making sells.
  10. mountainmom5 Gold Member

mreese601: And I have websites on the first page and getting traffic and making sells.
    What methods do you use to get traffic to your sites?
  11. happywife Gold Member

mreese601: And I have websites on the first page and getting traffic and making sells.
    Rather than what methods you are using, I'd be interested in seeing the actual sites. Lots of people make claims, but you never really know if it's true, or just "marketing." [IMG]

Please don't take offense. I'm not saying you are not being honest, but when we can actually see the sites you've created, it lends authority to your suggestions and advice.

Blessings,
    Angie
  12. onthego New Member

Very interesting reading! Really enjoying the banter!

I agree with Angie:

happywife: Please don't take offense. I'm not saying you are not being honest, but when we can actually see the sites you've created, it lends authority to your suggestions and advice.
    Is this possible?
  13. Selling7116 New Member

This is really funny I guess that I joined because I love selling. One thing that I have learned with selling is that no matter what it is. Everything does not work for the same person. That is why there are so many programs that people join. I believe that there is a strong correlation between the product and the brain and how it works. People get tired when they do not produce results. With the internets fast pace changes how does a person stay ahead. I think that is why some programs helps others to build while another people may struggle. I think that good ol common sense can be used. If it helps you build use it.
  14. treevee Member

All's I can say here is that this forum has helped me out tremendously when I first joined over a year ago.

I was looking into starting a particular online business. I googled this biz and found this forum giving a review through the search. I thank my lucky stars because I had no clue that it was an "expensive" scam that I almost fell for. Ever since then, I stop by here occasionally for advice and suggestions from the members which I have found to be quite helpful on my journey. (You being one of them, Margo! [IMG] )

I like to think that most people here are genuinely benevolent when they post. Of course you will always come across those that are not so sincere ....... but that is life in the real world. And, just like any advice that you come across in life, you should always learn to do your own further research on it. It would be nice if someone could hold our hand through all of it, but it ain't going to happen! I'm sure we've all fallen for some kind of product or program that didn't pan out..... That's part of the learning process.
  15. jazbo New Member

Most doc sharing sites have stricter rules on promotional activity than pretty much any article sites or Squidoo....
  16. markdudek New Member

Hello!
    My name is Mark and I'm newly registered here, although I've been a follower of the forum for quite a few weeks. This topic caught my eye as it addresses some issues that are very close to my heart.

I feel it's too easy to focus entirely on making money when starting a new web business, and out of desperation I've bought into my share of rubbish products, you know the sort - "Five mouse clicks to millions overnight while you sleep" blah blah blah.

My philosophy is based on high-street retail experience in the consumer technology market. It is simply this:

"Look after your customers, and the money will look after itself."

Translated into a web business, you need to focus not so much on making money (although don't lose sight of that!), but in going the extra mile to be helpful. Really helpful. That way, people will trust you and hopefully will buy from you so long as your product is one you believe in, and that you are happy to put your reputation behind.

I'm hoping my web business will be successful through doing just that, and the knowledge that what I do will benefit others.

Kindest,
    Mark.
  17. Hilary Hughes New Member

The OP mentions hobbies, passion and Google tools etc. The thing to remember is that all these things do matter but they have to be taken in context with each other. Any successful business involves a certain amount of multi tasking. The passions is a must to start up on your own and you're unlikely to get far without some idea of keyword research.

Dare I stick my neck out here, though, and suggest that none of these things will get you anywhere unless you understand the underlying reasons of why people buy ( in other words, selling )?

Just my humble opinion and I don't purport to be any kind of expert ( not that there's any such thing, of course, but that's another discussion [IMG] )

Hilary.
  18. happywife Gold Member

markdudek: My philosophy is based on high-street retail experience in the consumer technology market. It is simply this:

"Look after your customers, and the money will look after itself."

Translated into a web business, you need to focus not so much on making money (although don't lose sight of that!), but in going the extra mile to be helpful. Really helpful. That way, people will trust you and hopefully will buy from you so long as your product is one you believe in, and that you are happy to put your reputation behind.

I'm hoping my web business will be successful through doing just that, and the knowledge that what I do will benefit others.
    Hi Mark,

Welcome! That's a wonderful observation and certainly a philosophy to follow to make your business thrive, but there is something just a little bit different about online marketing.

You have to get the crowd in the first place before you can treat them well and over-deliver.

You mentioned your "high-street" retail experience. Presumably, you would have drawn a crowd initially because of your "location."

That's where the difference comes in online. You can be the best and most knowledgeable and generous online business owner, but if you don't know how to structure your online presence in such a way as to draw traffic, your knowledge and generosity of spirit will go to waste.

The first principle is to GET the visitors/customers, and the second is to TREAT THEM RIGHT.

Having done that, most certainly the money will follow.
    Wishing you all the best of success with your online ventures.

Blessings,
    Angie
  19. markdudek New Member

Hi Angie & thank you for your kind reply!

You are absolutely spot-on - I need to get a crowd in first, and that is the bit I'm working on at the moment - to get those visitors/customers and build a list to nurture! There's some really valuable advice in this forum, and I will be doing my best to approach this in the right way.

Kindest,
    Mark
  20. jgthomas New Member

Hi Markdudek,

I see you join the Chris Farrell Membership forum.....how do you like the program....